Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  80
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revmax Valve Body For A 68RFE Worth It?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Revmax Valve Body For A 68RFE Worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
    Does Ray have any experience tuning trucks with the valve body? Any real difference?
    I've got a customer that just has the VB from Revmax in his 2015.

Before he even loaded the tune with the higher line pressure setting, he said just the VB made a big difference.

He said it was even better after the tune.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

2. Thanks Schmidty, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    I've got a customer that just has the VB from Revmax in his 2015. Before he even loaded the tune with the higher line pressure setting, he said just the VB made a big difference. He said it was even better after the tune.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    Ray maybe you can explain from a tuners point of view things that you can do different or better with the valvebody in place and we can form an opinion on if we would like to get one or not.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    I've got a customer that just has the VB from Revmax in his 2015. Before he even loaded the tune with the higher line pressure setting, he said just the VB made a big difference. He said it was even better after the tune.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

I agree with Ray, IMO it's a lot smoother through the shifts than stock.

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 CCSB 6.7 Cummins. 3.42 gears. EGR Delete. Flo~Pro 5 inch TBE. ARP 625's. GDP grid delete and S2. 464 BMP Turbo on 2nd Gen Manifold. BD Exhaust Brake. Fass 150G Fuel System. BBI 1.5's. Exergy 10mm Stroker Pump. RevMax 68RFE 700 Series. Dual remote oil filters. Thuren coils. Carli progressive leafs with Thuren Kings 2.5. AMP Steps. Snow Performance Water/Meth Stage 2. BDS Recoil Traction Bars.
    Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35's on 20 x 10 Fuel Vapors.

6. Thanks TH-64, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    Ray maybe you can explain from a tuners point of view things that you can do different or better with the valvebody in place and we can form an opinion on if we would like to get one or not.
    The stock valve body will open its pressure relief in the forward gears anywhere from 165-180psi...depending on individual transmission. Most will do 170 psi and a few will tickle 180psi in the forward gears. Also keep in mind I'm talking a sustained amount of pressure, not a spike caused by fluid being thrown around during a shift. Also, I'm not talking about reverse either...as reverse can easily hit 250psi within its hydraulic circuit.

As a tuner, I can tell the tune to command as high as I want, but you can never exceed the mechanical limitation set by the valve body pressure relief. The aftermarket/modified valve body raises the mechanical limitation. Once this is done, I can then change the tuning which will command a higher pressure that will be achieved because of the mechanical modification.

OK, what does higher pressure do? Higher pressure does 2 positive things. It holds clutches together with more clamping force, which reduces slippage and wear. It also speeds up all the hydraulic processes within the transmission, which means crisper shifts and lockup. Higher pressure does have a downfall in that it can increase fluid temperature, but keeping the trans fluid changed every 25-30k miles is all that is needed to prevent problems from heat related fluid breakdown.

Swapping out the VB isn't mandatory if you are gonna keep a mild tune on the truck, but it is a worthwhile modification.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Does the line pressure increase as the transmission gets worked harder or is it always applying 225 psi once the revmax is installed and tuned?

Rhino, I'm not really looking for anything, just asking questions to those in the know on transmissions. I know a bit about trucks, but squat about transmissions. Currently, I pull a 40' camper and a 18' boat. This might be the last diesel I own. The wife and I bought a lot on the big lake in ND, with water access, so I won't be lugging around a camper and boat after another five years or so. Once my kids get older, they won't care about a place to bike or a playground; they will just want to be on the water. The lot will be perfect once that time comes.

I have a bit of a bucket list. One thing I always wanted to do was build a truck with a decent amount of power and be able to use that power (stupid waste of money, but I'm a typical guy and farm kid). My truck is currently tuned, and I want to be able to use that power safely from time to time. I'm just curious if that valve body will enable me to do so. I would love to install the add a turbo kit from Hardway, but my wife would tell me I'm an idiot (bucket list thing). I've been looking for a used add a turbo kit so I can justify (con) it to the wife, but I haven't found anything.

Blah, blah

Merry Christmas, and thanks for all the help.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
    Does the line pressure increase as the transmission gets worked harder or is it always applying 225 psi once the revmax is installed and tuned?

Rhino, I'm not really looking for anything, just asking questions to those in the know on transmissions. I know a bit about trucks, but squat about transmissions. Currently, I pull a 40' camper and a 18' boat. This might be the last diesel I own. The wife and I bought a lot on the big lake in ND, with water access, so I won't be lugging around a camper and boat after another five years or so. Once my kids get older, they won't care about a place to bike or a playground; they will just want to be on the water. The lot will be perfect once that time comes.

I have a bit of a bucket list. One thing I always wanted to do was build a truck with a decent amount of power and be able to use that power (stupid waste of money, but I'm a typical guy and farm kid). My truck is currently tuned, and I want to be able to use that power safely from time to time. I'm just curious if that valve body will enable me to do so. I would love to install the add a turbo kit from Hardway, but my wife would tell me I'm an idiot (bucket list thing). I've been looking for a used add a turbo kit so I can justify (con) it to the wife, but I haven't found anything.

Blah, blah

Merry Christmas, and thanks for all the help.

Here's a video with a 700 series, it shows the trans pressure fluctuating as Ray's tune calls for it.

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 CCSB 6.7 Cummins. 3.42 gears. EGR Delete. Flo~Pro 5 inch TBE. ARP 625's. GDP grid delete and S2. 464 BMP Turbo on 2nd Gen Manifold. BD Exhaust Brake. Fass 150G Fuel System. BBI 1.5's. Exergy 10mm Stroker Pump. RevMax 68RFE 700 Series. Dual remote oil filters. Thuren coils. Carli progressive leafs with Thuren Kings 2.5. AMP Steps. Snow Performance Water/Meth Stage 2. BDS Recoil Traction Bars.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I plan to have the tranny serviced with a bit over 41,000 miles (pull with the truck).

I think I will go ahead and have the Revmax valve body installed.

I'm going to own this truck for awhile.

It's a relatively small chunk of change over five plus years.

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Do I go straight through revmax to purchase the valve body or do other vendors sell it for a bit less on this forum?

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

They are a vendor on here.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I know this thread is a few years old, but I’m looking at one of these for my 2015 2500 with the anemic 68RFE.

Nothing wrong with it at this point, and I’d like to keep it that way if possible.

She’s approaching 100k on the odometer and I do fair amount of “medium duty” towing, nothing kore than 10k, but pretty close to it.

I’m seriously eyeballing one of the RevMax HD valve bodies, but here is my reservation; I’ve read a few reviews where they installed one of these, only to balloon the torque converter.

Replace the converter only to break the input shaft, then the output shaft.

I guess my question is, and I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but I’m looking for the opinion of those smarter and more experienced than I.

Question is, is it smarter to save my $$$ for a fully built 68RFE with the upgraded valve body, TC, input and output shafts, OR, with the right tuning, will this VB improve the reliability of the stock unit and allow me to continue towing the weight I tow without an issue?

I’m running Ray’s tuning and I leave it on the 90HP tune most of the time, even when towing and haven’t had a problem yet.

I have the deeper Mag-Hytec pan and I change the fluid about every other oil change.

Would really appreciate some folks that have used this VB for an extended period of time and had good luck, or those that tried it and ended up buying a replacement trans.

Thanks.

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast