Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  80
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revmax Valve Body For A 68RFE Worth It?

1. Top Of Page | #21

Revmax Valve Body For A 68RFE Worth It?

@jclaus98 Revmax is running 20% discount til midnight eastern FYI

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB
    2016 Ram 2500 CCSB *SOLD*

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

I know, if I had been smart, I would have asked the question BEFORE the last minute to get one on sale, but I don’t have the time or the shop space right now to change out the VB anyway and if you look at RevMax’s core policy, they do just about everything possible to avoid giving you that core charge back.

So, I’ll just wait until I have the time and the shop space to get it done as soon as I receive it.

Thanks for the heads up though, cheers.

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, timshooter40 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jclaus98 View Post
    I know this thread is a few years old, but I’m looking at one of these for my 2015 2500 with the anemic 68RFE.

Nothing wrong with it at this point, and I’d like to keep it that way if possible.

She’s approaching 100k on the odometer and I do fair amount of “medium duty” towing, nothing kore than 10k, but pretty close to it.

I’m seriously eyeballing one of the RevMax HD valve bodies, but here is my reservation; I’ve read a few reviews where they installed one of these, only to balloon the torque converter.

Replace the converter only to break the input shaft, then the output shaft.

I guess my question is, and I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but I’m looking for the opinion of those smarter and more experienced than I.

Question is, is it smarter to save my $$$ for a fully built 68RFE with the upgraded valve body, TC, input and output shafts, OR, with the right tuning, will this VB improve the reliability of the stock unit and allow me to continue towing the weight I tow without an issue?

I’m running Ray’s tuning and I leave it on the 90HP tune most of the time, even when towing and haven’t had a problem yet.

I have the deeper Mag-Hytec pan and I change the fluid about every other oil change.

Would really appreciate some folks that have used this VB for an extended period of time and had good luck, or those that tried it and ended up buying a replacement trans.

Thanks.
    Well, here is the issue with your situation as I see it. Basically the issues with the 68 RFE VB are mostly due to cross leak and other issues from the OEM casting process. Once you put a Revmax VB in it, you will have higher line pressures. Even untuned, you will have the actual pressure that is called for making it's way to lockup clutch packs and all. If your transmission already has wear on it and your clutch packs are worn, the higher pressure may help, but if the wear is to high already you will accelerate the issue and cause the clutch pack to wear faster.
    In your case, I'd probably suggest a built transmission. With 100k on the clock, there is probably some wear that will accelerate when "fixing" the VB issue. Now, if you add the VB you will stress any other components in the transmission which will apply more pressure and torque. So, it will now stress the input and output shafts and any other components. Basically, you'll find the weak link after fixing the line pressure situation caused by the OEM VB.

Basically, the newer the transmission is the more a new VB will help.

I am no transmission expert, but I do have a good understanding of how it all works.

5. Thanks timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes Jaxonsram, timshooter40, Power247, SyN liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

MichaelRC51 - Thanks for the reply, it’s much appreciated. I too have an intimate knowledge of how an automatic transmission works and have rebuilt several myself, although those were just 3 speed “old school” type autos, nothing as sophisticated as the 68RFE. I guess what I was looking for was someone who’d had experience installing the VB on their ~ 100k mi 68 and whether or not this results were positive or negative, although I could probably guess what the outcome was, I was hoping for some actual results. I’ve seen Ray from DRD post on here that folks have had positive experiences with the RevMax VB even without tuning, but never heard a mention of the mileage those units were installed in. I’ve had Ray’s tuning for about a year and half now and really enjoy the tuning, however, maybe it’s placebo, maybe it’s legitimate, but I feel like I’m starting to get some shift flares (aside from the “normal” ones that are characteristic of the RFE). With that in mind, I’m sure my trans is starting to wear past the point of no return, VB or no VB. As such, my suspicions have been validated, it’s time to start the search for a good replacement unit that’s built to handle more than a minivan V6 torque.

7. Likes michaelrc51, timshooter40 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

MichaelRC51 - Thanks for the reply, it’s much appreciated. I too have an intimate knowledge of how an automatic transmission works and have rebuilt several myself, although those were just 3 speed “old school” type autos, nothing as sophisticated as the 68RFE. I guess what I was looking for was someone who’d had experience installing the VB on their ~ 100k mi 68 and whether or not this results were positive or negative, although I could probably guess what the outcome was, I was hoping for some actual results. I’ve seen Ray from DRD post on here that folks have had positive experiences with the RevMax VB even without tuning, but never heard a mention of the mileage those units were installed in. I’ve had Ray’s tuning for about a year and half now and really enjoy the tuning, however, maybe it’s placebo, maybe it’s legitimate, but I feel like I’m starting to get some shift flares (aside from the “normal” ones that are characteristic of the RFE). With that in mind, I’m sure my trans is starting to wear past the point of no return, VB or no VB. As such, my suspicions have been validated, it’s time to start the search for a good replacement unit that’s built to handle more than a minivan V6 torque.
    Yeah, if that’s the case that means you have a good amount of clutch pack wear. If you’re at that point the added line pressure will most likely hurt it more than help it.

IMO, I would save it for a built trans when that one gives up the ghost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Any recommendations on the best built trans for the $$$??? Anybody??? I know there are a TON of options and even more additional features with each option, so I’m sure there’s a specific thread dedicated to that particular discussion, maybe someone can link it?

11. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Any recommendations on the best built trans for the $$$??? Anybody??? I know there are a TON of options and even more additional features with each option, so I’m sure there’s a specific thread dedicated to that particular discussion, maybe someone can link it?

My top three are Randy's Revmax and NextGen diesel transmission.

I have great luck with all of those.

We sell quite a lot of them often!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

I wanted to put a Revmax VB in my 68RFE.

At 180,000 miles, I’ve probably missed the chance.

May also save up for a whole rebuild when the inevitable time comes.

The trans acts perfectly fine, and I hope to keep it that way.

2010 2500 Laramie auto, deleted, DRD MM3
    1970 Plymouth Duster drag car

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Jaxonsram, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I can only say I wish I did mine sooner, and then my bank account would look better.

I waited too long.

My son just did him, and his transmission looked like it should; hopefully, he got to his in time.

We have very similar setups.

So yes, I believe the VB, a deeper pan, and a bypass are worth it if you are early enough.

White Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie, Tuned, 625 ARPs, Revmax transmission with a billet input shaft, billet flex plate, Revmax thermal bypass, Revmax deep pan, Revmax billet valve body,
    4600 shocks, Airdog 165, ARE shell, Line-X, ICT grid heater delete, Glacier diesel grid heater, stock size tires and wheels, stock suspension, mostly just a stock truck.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Jaxonsram liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123