Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winch Installation

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Winch Installation

I have updated this post with bits a pieces of things that I have found over the past week when reading/researching about the project.

I don't have the funds for a new bumper. I have a winch and was thinking about adding a front tow receiver for the winch. I know that the lateral bend of the receiver tube would be the weakest link. Maybe weld on more steel triangle shaped plating out towards the front of the receiver and reinforce it back to the plate that the guy in the link below attached too. It mentions some mounting area for the rack and pinion. I could even weld tubing back to the frame somewhere. I'll look tonight when I get home. I know the intercooler is the issue with a hidden bumper mount.

Update - maybe something could be done vs using a receiver mount.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...-receiver.html

Locations to mount:

UPDATE: If someone made a mount that bolted in front of the intercooler (with longer bolts and retained the tow hooks), then a 12000lb winch that is 6 inches in diameter would barely stick out of the bumper. It's 5 3/8" from the cooler to the bent lip of the bumper. With feet down mounted, taking into consideration the diameter, the winch would only stick out about an inch. The Innercooler is only 1 3/8" thick.

Behind the Air dam is a little over 5" If you had a winch mounted here it would be great. Maybe add a little diamond plate aluminum skid plate around it. My transfer case was at 9" with 33" tires. It could be done with a smaller winch, but it would be too low in my opinion unless you would mount it upside down with a very elaborate custom hitch/mount. Also, what if your front fairlead lifted some and screwed up your fan or inner cooler or something.

Original Locations section:
    I wouldn't mind cutting the bumper up to mount it just in front of the innercooler like the power wagon. Maybe a bracket from the receiver could come out 2 inches and up under the winch for front support and slide back into the bumper. It would look funny though if the winch was not mounted. This is the beginning to my plan so any ideas would be great. Maybe under the bumper upside down.

Update - Hidden 1500 using feet forward mount.
    http://www.ramforum.com/f48/hidden_w...30/index2.html

Electrical

I read to use the lexan type connectors and that they are similar to the snow plow connectors, but they don't look that waterproof too me. I'm thinking boat stuff would be better to use for water proof reasons.[INDENT]Guage of wire:
    Advanced auto has 20 ft of 4 gauge jumper cables for $39 amd they are actually thick wire. I can chop it up to use as my power wires. I have used them in my boat after tinning the connections and sealing the ends with liquid electrical tape and they have worked great for my center console power wires and then later for my windlass and trolling motor wires for over 5 years. I can always trim the wire down to fit 6 gauge connectors worst case.

Connectors:[INDENT]
    4 gauge - Driver Battery Quick Connect Plug Kit Recovery Winch Trailer 350 amps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0129E1KF8..._Wt8rybDZ078WK

Wireless remote install using any universal winch remote:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/en...l-1021121.html

Mounting Engo winches:
    My wife got me an Engo winch for Christmas. I emailed them to check on upside down or feet forward mounting here is their responce - Just make sure the cable spools between the mounting surface and the drum.* Don’t re-wrap the drum from the opposite direction if you mount it upside down.* It is designed to disengage the brake while powering IN and to power against the brake when powering OUT.* As long as you leave the cable on the way it came it will be fine.

Warn can be mounted upside down as long as any vents your winch might have on top are closed.

How a snow plow Hitch attaches:

Mounting brackets that fit that fit under the Sway Bar mounting points at 7:40:

Curt snow plow using their front receiver:

The brackets used for a western plow (page 7 left side) They sandwich the frame but not with two full plates, notice th outside plate just has 45 degree supports coming down to the botom of the bracket/frame. I assume that is for lateral support from left to right.. The only suport front to back seems like the inside plate with a tiny bit of support from the out bracket, then some support from the inside two supports.
    http://library.westernplows.com/west....03_110111.pdf

Types of front mount hitches
    Between the tow hooks
    Or down lower frome the snow plow connection points off the frame

https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2012_Ram_2500.htm

Compatibilty brackets and tow hook bracket where they attach to the frame (see page 5)
    http://library.westernplows.com/west....03_110111.pdf

Coating

I was thinking of using powder coat on the framing to prevent rust. I also have a few things I'd like to powder coat. I have a few gallons of epoxy that I could maybe tint black and or paint over.

A few people in jeep forums etc said one thing about powder coating is that most things powder coated eventually chip, then rust. Most car paint lasts 20+ years and does great, can chip some, but has a proven track record.

Some go kart people swear by
    Por15 - thread w video - http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9156
    Chassis Black (generic)
    Epoxy.

Here some hot rod people hate por 15 but like epoxy
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/por-...et-119795.html

I have 2 gallons of epoxy so I think I'll just go with that

Long term rust experiment/video -
    Okay this is just a place/link to save a rust removal video -

Links to builds:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=575917

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AnOldBiker liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Winch Installation

Just curious but why not just run a receiver mount if you're going to use a front receiver hitch? Could remove it as needed and when you do get a new bumper you won't have a huge mess to deal with after.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

How do the power wagon winches mount up? Cause that's the avenue I'd start at first.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That's what I did. I have a 10K winch on a front reciever. It doubles up as a push bar. If I don't lock all 4 brakes, that winch will drag that truck all over the place.

100_0614.jpg

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    How do the power wagon winches mount up? Cause that's the avenue I'd start at first.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I'll look for some parts diagrams to find out.
    update to post- Here is a pic on this website of the winch under the truck. In the diagrams it shows a feet forward mount to the bumper that wraps over to the sides and probably bolts to the frame:
    http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/.../82209452.html

pic
    MA05U_DR_____3253.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    Just curious but why not just run a receiver mount if you're going to use a front receiver hitch? Could remove it as needed and when you do get a new bumper you won't have a huge mess to deal with after.
    That is my plan, unless I can find a hidden solution, and would be the only reason I would need a front reciever.

So I took some measurements to see if hidden is doable. It is doable, but lower down or further forward than the power wagon. The power waggon is almost flush with the bumper. The Cummins you would be forward about 1.5" or the thickness of the innercooler. I guess an epoxy cover could be made to blend in with the bumper and create a bulge area. Then I could fair it and paint match the bumper, otherwise leave the winch out in the open.

The wind baffle below the bumper sits 13" above the ground with my 275/75/17, and 5 & 5/8" below the radiator. It's probably pretty close to the hieght of the power waggon. If the feet are mounted forward then I would have the plate as protection along with no plate below or above to take up more clearance. Looking forward under the truck, the innercooler is more forward and little bit higher because the radiator has a thin aluminum strip sticking down.

Pic of thin radiator strip and area under the radiator. The shrowd under the radiator sits a couple inches lower than the radiator and you could notch out the area you need:
    https://goo.gl/photos/sikkbkNFJHaA33y79

Frame supports coming down w rack and pinion support bolt to the right/towards the rear
    https://goo.gl/photos/5ZmkL9BJhXkVXc18A

Lip under the radiator when I pull down the shrowd:
    https://goo.gl/photos/xcckaV4rNvxBh9Uq9

Frame up towards the tow hooks:
    https://goo.gl/photos/AE8hR6xJ7jUSaasF9

I was thinking put the winch in this lower space. Maybe some 1/4" U-channel that's wide enough to cradle the winch with a reciever type square pipe welded on facing up, that will slide up around those frame supports coming down in front of the rack and pinion bolt on spots. Then supports up to the tow hook area for more support and use longer bolts to keep the tow hooks.

If mounted it upside down, Then the line would go under the bumper and inner cooler, and maybe out of a notch/fairlead in the baffle. Maybe make an epoxy box that seals around it with a notch for the cable that screws/bolts up to the plate and can be removed when needed but protects against road conditions
    I have gallons of epoxy from a boat hardtop build. The winch could get damaged that low by a large boulder, but I don't "boulder" around much and my offroad is limited to muddy trails, wet fields, slippery boat ramps, and swampy areas in FL. I could always build a steel skid plate welded down from the front of the plate then back under the winch. The axel is about that high also and the 4x4 transfer case is even lower.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

8. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The winch is 6.25" wide, so an 1&1/4" would stick down below the wind shrowd. To be at a height of 11&3/4" above the ground.

I think this would help get it out of the truck bed which would be nice when I need to haul stuff back there. It would also be harder for a thief to take vs sitting in the bed bolted to a hitch carrying tray.

10. Likes 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    That's what I did. I have a 10K winch on a front reciever. It doubles up as a push bar. If I don't lock all 4 brakes, that winch will drag that truck all over the place.

100_0614.jpg
    Hey Polaraco,

How low is your hitch when its mounted? Any issues with the height. I'm still leaning for just behind the black plastic air dam/shrowd, and haven't heard anything negative to that. It will be at 11&3/4” high with my tires (275/75/17). I'm thinking 3/8” plate, to keep the framing/support lighter vs 1/4" - its a 12000 lb winch tho

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I have a front hitch mounted bumper and love it because you can take it off whenever you're not using it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbuntu View Post
    Hey Polaraco,

How low is your hitch when its mounted? Any issues with the height. I'm still leaning for just behind the black plastic air dam/shrowd, and haven't heard anything negative to that. It will be at 11&3/4” high with my tires (275/75/17). I'm thinking 3/8” plate, to keep the framing/support lighter vs 1/4" - its a 12000 lb winch tho

As you can see, mine doubles as a push bar. This is actually better because you don't lose ground clearance. You can operate the winch more efficiently too. You can watch the cable spooling and prevent stacking on the spool and operate the quick release. I might add, the hitch strengthens the frame as well. I had a wreck with my 08. Had it not been for that front hitch, my truck would have been totaled.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.7secdiesel View Post
    I have a front hitch mounted bumper and love it because you can take it off whenever you're not using it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    That hitch mount is the way to go. As you said, you can drop it if you don't need it.

I put an extension in my reciever so I don't have to reach under the air dam for the pin. But I painted the end yellow for the walking dead to trip over. LOL That and I added another air dam under this one so the hitch comes through it.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    As you can see, mine doubles as a push bar. This is actually better because you don't lose ground clearance. You can operate the winch more efficiently too. You can watch the cable spooling and prevent stacking on the spool and operate the quick release. I might add, the hitch strengthens the frame as well. I had a wreck with my 08. Had it not been for that front hitch, my truck would have been totaled.

That hitch mount is the way to go. As you said, you can drop it if you don't need it.

I put an extension in my reciever so I don't have to reach under the air dam for the pin. But I painted the end yellow for the walking dead to trip over. LOL That and I added another air dam under this one so the hitch comes through it.
    Alright here is the rough start. I need fresh eyes to see if I'm going to have any problems. I think if I cut off the front 5" of the reciever tube and used an extension, it would look nicer. Once done it will be just below the wind dam with the 1/2” receiver "strength" ring on the outside of the dam.

The gear control is about 1/2" away from the bumper. If I leave the 5" then everything fits perfect also. It's kind of cool to have a front hitch too, I'm a little torn.

I think I have unlimited space for pics so I'll give it a try

If I was really strong and the sway bar wasn't up in there, then it would be the perfect storage spot for the winch out of the weather.

15. Likes Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast