Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Tire width laws on the West Coast???

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tire width laws on the West Coast???

Hello West Coasters, I recently moved up to Oregon for a new job as a Concrete/Excavation Contractor. As you all probably know a contractor job goes hand and hand with a diesel truck to pull equipment, materials, tools, etc. I bought a 2000 2nd gen 24v Cummins off of a lady who had it just sitting in her yard for over two years not moving. Since it sat for so long the tires had dry rot and were no good so I bought some new wheels (18"x10") and tires (33"x18"x12.5") to replace the old no good tires. the truck has stock fenders so my tires stick out a good 5"-6" past the fenders edge. I'm originally from Oklahoma where nobody cares how wide your wheels and tires are but I've heard up here it is against the law to have your tires stick out past your fenders (in Oregon and Washington at least I'm not sure about California).

So my question is : is there some way to make my truck legal to drive on the street? I.E. fender flairs, mud flaps, etc? Or do I just pray I don't get pulled over and given a ticket? I really don't want to down size my tires since they are new and look really good on my truck, but I don't want to get a ticket for having too big of tires.
    Please let me know if y'all know anything helpful!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tire width laws on the West Coast???

Quote Originally Posted by OregonCummins View Post
    Hello West Coasters, I recently moved up to Oregon for a new job as a Concrete/Excavation Contractor. As you all probably know a contractor job goes hand and hand with a diesel truck to pull equipment, materials, tools, etc. I bought a 2000 2nd gen 24v Cummins off of a lady who had it just sitting in her yard for over two years not moving. Since it sat for so long the tires had dry rot and were no good so I bought some new wheels (18"x10") and tires (33"x18"x12.5") to replace the old no good tires. the truck has stock fenders so my tires stick out a good 5"-6" past the fenders edge. I'm originally from Oklahoma where nobody cares how wide your wheels and tires are but I've heard up here it is against the law to have your tires stick out past your fenders (in Oregon and Washington at least I'm not sure about California).

So my question is : is there some way to make my truck legal to drive on the street? I.E. fender flairs, mud flaps, etc? Or do I just pray I don't get pulled over and given a ticket? I really don't want to down size my tires since they are new and look really good on my truck, but I don't want to get a ticket for having too big of tires.
    Please let me know if y'all know anything helpful!
    Yes, you are correct about the exposed tire issue. But depending on your location, meaning rural or urban. I lived near Seattle for years and I was constantly cited for my tires sticking out past the fenders. Now I live in a very rural SE corner of the state and most law enforcement don't give a rip. Either case, Bushwacker may have something to offer you.

http://www.bushwacker.com/fender-fla...black-50908-02

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Oregon Cummins:

I am sorry to bring bad news: In either Oregon or California, you may well have problems with the law. These tires may well act as a "ticket magnet." I say that because of the statutes involved. Here are both California's & Oregon's statutes:

California Vehicle Code 27600.
    No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Oregon ORS 815.180, in part:
    . . . Any vehicle required to have fenders and mudguards may be equipped with any fender, cover, flap or splash apron to comply with the requirements of ORS 815.185 (Operation without proper fenders or mudguards) for fenders and mudguards as long as the fenders and mudguards meet all of the following standards:
    (a) The width of any fender or mudguard required under this section must be of sufficient size so that the fender or mudguard extends at least to each side of the width of the tire or combined width of the multiple tires when measured against the cross section of the tread of the wheel or the combined cross sections of the treads of the multiple wheels.
    (b) Any fender or mudguard required under this section must be of sufficient size and must be so constructed as to be capable at all times of arresting and deflecting any dirt, mud, water or other substance that may be picked up and carried by the wheels.

I hope you find these current (2016-2017) statutes of some assistance. I have added the bold typeface.

Good luck.

4. Thanks walla2k5, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Some good info, thanks.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post