Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: White smoke and rough idle

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

White smoke and rough idle

So today it was in the 30s this morning. Went out and started my truck and it puffed just a little bit of pure white smoke. And instead of firing up it kinda stumbled on start up. And the idle isnt clean its choppy and rough. All the truck has is a smarty Jr tow tune with timing at 2, and 145xxx on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: White smoke and rough idle

You'll have to take it back to Ford for service.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Haha, does sound like the average pstroke

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Using oil? Running hot? Loosing water? Water in oil?
    Think I'd start a compression test on each cylinder. Pressure the coolant system. Those 2 things could give you more info.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

5. Thanks codydell01 thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

To a certain extent, when it's cold, small amounts of white smoke like that can be normal. Unlike when I cold started my ford with 5 out of 8 glow plugs not working and it billowed white smoke haha.

As stated above, check all fluids first to make sure it's not something serious.

7. Likes 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Okay fellas sorry for being absent. But I just to let you guys know that I took my truck to the dealer(first in long time) they said the truck is complete Healthy and said the puff of white smoke is common for a cold start. They didn't say anything about the rough idle but it has cleared up in the past few days