Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: When to use Transmission tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

When to use Transmission tuning

I have a 2013 ram with the raceme tuner, running 60 hp with all default settings except a mild spool setting. With the stock transmission, do I need to run the transmission tune? I do pull with the truck quite a bit, my next questions is-when using the tranny tune, what is tow/haul mode accomplishing? With the transmission tune raising the line pressure, isn't that the same thing tow/haul does?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: When to use Transmission tuning

Answer: always.

Transmission tuning makes a night and day difference in how the truck feels and drives. I'd bet you'll be more impressed with transmission tuning than you were with engine tuning. Once you run transmission tunes you'll never go back to not having them. I've got back and forth with Ray (Double R Diesel) tweaking transmission related parameters FAR more than changing anything engine wise.

I rarely use tow/haul anymore. I find the shift points on my custom transmission tuning is better than what tow haul provides. The only reason I use tow/haul is if I want more aggressive exhaust braking when coming to a stop but generally I just downshift it myself to achieve that.
    Increased line pressure is better for holding the clutches together. Especially the overdrive clutches that are prone to slipping under power (not that you should be stomping on it in overdrive anyway). No tow/haul does not increase line pressure; it simply changes shift points.

3. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV, 25-06 thanked for this post
    Likes RATLIN'HP, david3gen, Chris_24V liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Is the trans tuning on while using the RT options

5. Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leeroy View Post
    Is the trans tuning on while using the RT options
    In pretty sure if you selected it then go into RT files it's still there. You should feel the difference if it isn't.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

+1 In my opinion trans tuning is where the developers need to focus on these products. What tuning I can do on my 48RE makes a world of difference in drivability. If all of the parameters worked properly it would be every bit as valuable as engine tuning.

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

how much line pressure should you be seeing under normal driving and towing, say with a stock tranny

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Trans tuning

With added HP you're limited to how long a stock trans can take it. Eventually you'll have to change something. Even if you're running trans tuning

Valve body, flex plate and torque converter

For big HP you start needing to have built a transmission

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I ordered transmission tunes along with the hp tunes, ( Raceme tuner ). I decided not to re-install my tranny tunes when I selected my options, am I stuck with the tranny tunes or can I shut them on and off within the tuner. I blew my valve body so I am kinda undecided about re installing those tranny tunes. Of course the tranny tunes may have had nothing to do with it. The Dodge dealer said their was a flaw in the accumulator plate, ( we all know that is a weakness with these 68RFE ).

Does anyone know if the Raceme Tuner allows you to shut off the tranny tunes and run the hp tunes without them?

2016 Dodge Ram 3500,
    Smittybilt M1 bumper, turbo back exhaust, ARP HEAD STUDS, BD Diesel ProTect68 68RFE Gasket Plate Kit and BD deep trans pan, SCREAMER HE300VG Turbo, BD Diesel Exhaust Manifold, Monster-Ram® Intake System 3.5-inch, Banks Air filter, BD Grid heater delete, RaceMe Ultra, tunes supplied by DRD.

12. Likes david3gen liked this post