Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dana 80 Pinion bearing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Dana 80 Pinion bearing

Dana 80 has some lateral play. No leaks from the pinion seal.

Would it be worth it to attempt tightening down the pinion nut or just let it be until it goes in for a rebuild.

Thank you.

2. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Dana 80 Pinion bearing

I believe the pinion bearing is preloaded so any play could indicate a bad bearing.

If there is no noise from the bearing or oil leaks then it should be good to run for while. It should be easy to hear any noise from the back end while coasting in neutral.

I think there is a magnet on the level plug so it might be worth checking it for any excess metal.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Dana 80 Pinion bearing

Quote Originally Posted by lost mechanic View Post
    I believe the pinion bearing is preloaded so any play could indicate a bad bearing.

If there is no noise from the bearing or oil leaks then it should be good to run for while. It should be easy to hear any noise from the back end while coasting in neutral.

I think there is a magnet on the level plug so it might be worth checking it for any excess metal.
    You are rigth. They are all preloaded. I think the Daha is shimmed while AMA uses a crush washer. You may be correct, a bearing may be bad. I don't know the Dana spec, someone needs to look it up in an older manual.

How much play are we talking about and above all

YEAR MODEL MILES

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC