Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: battery saver mode?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: battery saver mode?

Two new X2 batteries, and new mean green 230amp alternator. I keep getting this battery saver light on. I'm really getting tired of all the overly complicated electronics on vehicles today.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBetty6.7 View Post
    Two new X2 batteries, and new mean green 230amp alternator. I keep getting this battery saver light on. I'm really getting tired of all the overly complicated electronics on vehicles today.
    I wouldnt sweat it too much. My understanding is it's just there to save your batteries and keep the voltage right. My truck does it when it's cold. But I reckon the owners manual is the best place to find information about it and why the system is there. And if it even means that you need service at all.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I had this happen this morning. 22 degree start - waiting for pigtails to turn off- fired up (eb on) and high idled right away. When I got in the truck 5-10 mins later the message was displayed. Voltage was 14.2-14.3 for the whole hour ride to work.

I did drive the truck about 4 hours yesterday and shut it down 10pm

Weird thing is it was almost identical conditions yesterday morning when I started it less the driving the night before but I did not have a message.

Anyone know if the grid heater delete prevent the message from popping?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
    my 2015 did this the first time yesterday it's got 15k on the clock, when I started it today the message was gone? found some mixed things on it figured I'd ask here and see if anyone else experienced it ft? last night was the coldest it's been here this year 18deg per the evic
    I have a 2016 3500 add got the battery saver mode message. Nothing in owners manual so call my service manager and he said it happens when its cold and the grid heater and other things are using more power than the alt can supply so it shuts off unnecessary loads. The grid heater uses an extreme amount of power and short trips and frequent starts can also cause this as the batteries never get fully charged. I went for a 40 drive it went away nothing to worry about .

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mine did it the other day too. The little "envelope" icon popped up, then when I went to messages "battery saver mode". I figured it was becuase I had the key on for 20 minutes or so waiting for the wife to come out of the store listening to the XM.

It gets very cold here, was -26 the other morning, I'm not worried about it. Like someone else said, it's just more pointless over complicated electronics.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

6. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I got it a couple times this week. It’s my first winter with my truck but it was colder in november than the past few weeks.

My truck sat from friday afternoon till monday morning and thats when i got it. It went away on the next start after only a few mile drive and sitting an hour till the next start. Got the same thing tuesday and it went away again after a little longer drive but sitting all day. I’ve been making a point to turn the hvac off and wait until the grid heater is off before cranking and i havent gotten it since.

I’m thinking it might have something to do with starting while the grid heater is on and the truck thinking its low voltage due to that. When my grid heater cycles i see low 11’s in voltage on my mm3. After it kicks off i see 12.3 or so then low 14’s to 15 while running. Sometimes i see that low 11’s voltage when the preheat message is not being displayed so I watch the mm3 vs the cluster.

Ray at DRD just posted a good cold weather startup issues video. One interesting piece of info is when your batteries, even just one of them, are low and you have a tuner or anything else plugged in your obd port the ecm wont go to sleep when the truck is turned off and will drain your battery.

2013 CCSB 2500 G56 Tradesman

7. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I had created a post about battery life a couple weeks ago. My truck had died and and had to be jumped. The battery saver mode message would come and go. The truck started and ran fine for a week then it had to be jumped every time. Took it to the dealership and they replaced both batteries under warranty. They Said the batteries had failed. Id suggest going to your dealership and asking them to test your batteries.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

8. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

My truck is doing this too. Ram has no idea what the problem is. They keep saying it’s fixed but I keep getting the message and voltage is jumping all around while starting the truck. Engine is also entering idle up function too quickly. I believe this issue is very rare

9. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I am getting new batteries today. 72,000 miles.

After I get it started on a cold day, it starts ok for the rest of the day. One thing is strange though...
    I have the voltage selected on the driver display. It will show 10 or 11v then 12, 13, & 14v. After about 10 seconds it drops back to 10 and climbs back to 14, rinse & repeat for several minutes then stays at 14.
    I don’t see any messages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn CC SB SRW White Cummins Aisin with 5th wheel package
    ARE cap on order
    hunting for a chrome winch bumper
    need to add clearance lights
    Want Rigid Adapt driving lights

10. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx0849 View Post
    I am getting new batteries today. 72,000 miles.

After I get it started on a cold day, it starts ok for the rest of the day. One thing is strange though...
    I have the voltage selected on the driver display. It will show 10 or 11v then 12, 13, & 14v. After about 10 seconds it drops back to 10 and climbs back to 14, rinse & repeat for several minutes then stays at 14.
    I don’t see any messages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    That's probably your grid heater cycling on and off when the engine is cold.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast