Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: missing around 1000-1500 rpm

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

missing around 1000-1500 rpm

Ok guys so I got my turbo completely rebuilt, I deleted the throttle valve, and replaced the broken exhaust manifold pressure sensor line and I'm still having issues. Right around 1000 rpms the truck sounds like its missing. It mostly seems like a change of tone in the exhaust, it goes from its normal sound to a higher pitched almost muffled sound. Truck is a 2011 2500 6.7L with full 4" exhaust, egr and throttle valve delete, and raceme jr.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: missing around 1000-1500 rpm

Do you have any guages? Are you building boost? Rail pressure? Have you checked for codes?

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Do you have any guages? Are you building boost? Rail pressure? Have you checked for codes?
    No guages, no codes either...really shootin in the dark here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Also forgot to mention. Tuck starts fine, idles fine, and I don't notice any abnormal amount of smoke

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The only way to be sure is to have a cylinder contribution test done. Maybe you need to run some really good cleaner through the injectors. Or, maybe it;s just the harmonics of the exhaust fooling you. You really need to have someone hold the throttle while you listen to the tail pipe.
    @AccurateDiesel

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes dmuney liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

I would say Steve is right on - it probably is not a miss since there are no codes setting, and it is idling fine, no smoke, etc. Just a change in the exhaust note. You could confirm by having someone monitor cylinder contributions under the given conditions with a scanner. It could be that the vane position in the turbo is changing under that set of conditions causing the change in exhaust tone

8. Likes dmuney liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

so I started the truck this morning, set the high idle, and turned on the exhaust brake. It was pretty cold out so it made that sweet whistling sound the EB makes when its idles cold. But the whistle started to cut out and would bounce back and forth between the whistle and just the ordinary rumble...sounded a lot like fireworks. so i turned the exhaust brake off and set the idle to its highest setting at 1500 rpm and stood by the exhaust and could clearly hear it changing tones and sounding like it's missing. but I drove it around this morning, romped it a couple times and at first it was very noticeable but on occasion it wouldn't do it at all. finally when I parked it about 30 min ago I parked next to my buddys truck so I could hear it echo off his truck and I revved it a few times and couldn't hear it all. I'll drive it around some more and I'm sure it'll be back but at least it's getting better

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Map sensors are pretty cheap. May try changing it or cleaning it. Just having the turbo built also could the VGT veins not be set correctly. Just throwing that out there

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

SHE FINALLY THREW A CODE!!! Check engine light came on so I scanned it with the raceme and it's code p0046 (turbocharger boost control circuit). Now...who can explain to me what this means...

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

It's a pretty generic code in which the turbo is telling the ecm something is out of range. Check all your connections on the turbo you just took out and put back in.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

13. Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post