Thanks Thanks:  122
Likes Likes:  218
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's rebuild time

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

It's rebuild time

So after only owning my truck just over a year and already doing a sort of bandaid repair it has com eri me to pull the motor an rebuild it so out it comes . I'll be updating with pics as I go wish me luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: It's rebuild time

Keep us posted. I would love to see what's going on in that cylinder.

Are you doing the motor?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney, Snow Dodge, david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Keep us posted. I would love to see what's going on in that cylinder.

Are you doing the motor?
    Yes I'll be reassembling the motor. Why you ask?

5. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It's out. And looks like somebody may have already taken care of the auto Trans or do Chrysler tour we converters come in the color purple/pink?

7. Likes Snow Dodge, david3gen liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Honestly it doesn't look any worse than when I slapped that used piston in #1 I mean don't get me wrong it's not pretty but it defiantly isn't junk either. Haha you can still se the cross hatching from when I smother it out with sandpaper( whatever you do don't use sandpaper to hone a cylinder it's not recommended and people might think you crazy or stupid) . Ok enough cracking jokes at myself More to come this week and more pics as well this is all for today maybe something later this week

9. Likes Snow Dodge, david3gen liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Yes I'll be reassembling the motor. Why you ask?

Oh. . . Spit- - - DING. Just being nosey. LOL

That means we'll be getting lots of pictures. It would be good if you put the pics in your gallery for reference. Many people have never seen one of these apart. I personally have never done a Cummins motor. Lots of gas engines.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney, david3gen liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Yeah I see it. That's bad news. I see where the piston was sucking in the coolant. The clean spot was the first. Then the stains from the crack to the cylinder

13. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Ok so I got a little exited after getting the motor out I forgot to take a few pics but here is what I got ill take some more pics tomorrow only carnage found is broken 2nd ring in the bad cylinder a big scratch in some of the rod bearings and a blemish on crank rod journal which will polish out just fine The bad cylinder is worse than before but only the ridge at the top of the cylinder if you look close at the last pic you can see the ridge at end of the cyl your looking up from the bottom. The ridge I'm assuming is due to piston rocking as it went up and down from the first failure due to the rings coming apart causing drag The bandaid piston only made it worse due to it being too loose in the cylinder. That's all for today

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I've scene allot worse.

I thought I saw a crack in the block. next to #1 No? Or did I miss something?

17. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

No no crack although there is a decent ridge on the lifte side of the block . It's like the piston is being pushed hard against the cyl wall and the 1st ring wore the cylinder at TDC the mark you saw may have been from where 2nd or 3rd ring was at TDC or a shadow I'll get a better pic of the cylinder damage today and measure the depth of the ridge

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast