Thanks Thanks:  122
Likes Likes:  218
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: It's rebuild time

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: It's rebuild time

The machine shop said they almost didn't even need to polish the crank it was exactly within spec. The cam on the other hand 2 things,
    1 the tips of the lobes look questionable but I've read that Cummins cams have a little rough lobe on the outer edge?
    2 i figured i was going to buy a new one so while loading block head and crank into the shop truck to take and drop off for machine work, the cam rolled off the bench landed on the cam gear bounced up off the ground at least 1ft. and then landed horizontally and to my surprise it never broke so ill be purchasing a different cam and cam gear for sure.

I picked up the parts and dropped them off at my work where ill be reassembling the motor and reinstalling it into my truck

Oh ya almost forgot i now have two selves in my block they said while boring out #5 they found a sand pocket and had to sleeve it and they did that one for free

Quote Originally Posted by Sisupower View Post
    That's good news always. Got lucky I guess LOL. How bad was the cam? Looks like it was gummed up pretty bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Looks like a bit of neglect on oil changes too. How did the crank look?

2. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

So i ran into a problem, my engine stand isn't strong enough to support this motor so I'll be building a better one. So far all I've done is block prep and clean up, I have some pics but I,ll post them after I get the ball rolling on this rebuild and of course get more pics

3. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    So i ran into a problem, my engine stand isn't strong enough to support this motor so I'll be building a better one. So far all I've done is block prep and clean up, I have some pics but I,ll post them after I get the ball rolling on this rebuild and of course get more pics
    Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

4. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

It's rebuild time

Well just got home started work at 7 today and I stayed after and did some assembly I have pics I just need to put them up but I'm beat. I'll post them tomorrow

But here is a teaser

05 2500 4x4 SB White on Black, Fass 150, Edge Atitude, dual remote oil filters, on board air, hid & led everywhere

6. Likes Sisupower, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Well I'm having laptop issues but here is all I can find at the moment. More will come

05 2500 4x4 SB White on Black, Fass 150, Edge Atitude, dual remote oil filters, on board air, hid & led everywhere

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

It's rebuild time

I just couldn't reassemble it without some cheap insurance for the bottom end.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...0c82204de6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...9df961b216.jpg I just couldn't reassemble it without some cheap insurance for the bottom end.

You going to girdle the bottom end? I heard the gorilla girdle is the way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Besides the factory block stiffener, the thought has crossed my mind but I'm unsure of the gorilla. I mean using spacers on the main studs, whats that about. Me and a friend of mine have talked about making a beefy girdle. And machining it out of 3/4" steel plate. Machining it so all that is needed to install is 1/2" longer main studs we took some measurements and figured 3/4" is the thickness required to make this work, and being im waiting on more parts, now is the time to investigate this further and opposed to $800 +dollars industrial injection wants if i can get this fabbed up reasonably priced i will make it available to more people than just myself and hopefully a better price

Quote Originally Posted by Sisupower View Post
    You going to girdle the bottom end? I heard the gorilla girdle is the way to go!

14. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Besides the factory block stiffener, the thought has crossed my mind but I'm unsure of the gorilla. I mean using spacers on the main studs, whats that about. Me and a friend of mine have talked about making a beefy girdle. And machining it out of 3/4" steel plate. Machining it so all that is needed to install is 1/2" longer main studs we took some measurements and figured 3/4" is the thickness required to make this work, and being im waiting on more parts, now is the time to investigate this further and opposed to $800 +dollars industrial injection wants if i can get this fabbed up reasonably priced i will make it available to more people than just myself and hopefully a better price
    Yea I've heard and seen it used and it's a good product. Slot of guys are having it machined in and it makes it even stronger. Idk how they are doing it but I know people are. Yea if you can fab up something and it do the same job then y not

15. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

So I've been seeing on the internet about people running tractor camshafts in the 5.9 whats the hype all about? i found a marine 370 HP cam I'm sure that it is mostly due to programming of the ECM. Aftermarket cams definitely aren't cheap.

whats everybody's thought on running a cam like this pros and cons?

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast