Thanks Thanks:  122
Likes Likes:  218
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: It's rebuild time

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: It's rebuild time

Ok finally have it completely disassembled , machine shop is telling me $1000 to bore 5 cylinders sleeve 1 cyl clean mag install cam barings and deck the block. Clean mag and surface cyl head , polish the crank and install new con rod bushings. Does this sound correct sounds a bit steep to me. I did also find what looks like the cam starting to go flat . And I only see 1 cam baring the first one the other journals are the cast block w/ no baring this was a surprise to me so looks like I need a cam & lifters . A few surprises along the way and a big jump in cost but worth it in the long run .

Question machine shop said that they would make the piston to wall clearance a little looser on cyl. 1&6 because they run hotter is this common practice? Also they said its hit or miss on the cylinder head having cracks is this typical for a common rail? Thoughts please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

@dmuney

I haven't used a machine shop in several years and honestly don't remember the rates. But it seems a bit high, but that could be because of the block decking.

One thing I am noticing is the sludge buildup in the block. Indicates poor maintenance.

Yeah that lobe doesn't look that great and I noticed the score in the one journal. But it still has some life in it. When you get a new one, go back a few years and get a Zero degree cam. The later ones were retarded by 1* for emissions.

Couple of thousands on the pistons should be OK, but I think you'll find just 6 will be the hottest. But we're probably talking 10 to 15 degrees. There doesn't seem to be many complaints about them. Maybe it's the sleeves.

Be careful about using high performance parts for street use. They are made for high speeds and not for street use. You might be good with a good set of high quality standards bearings. In the gas world, that high performance stuff is known to fail prematurely on the street.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney, Kjmajek liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    @dmuney

I haven't used a machine shop in several years and honestly don't remember the rates. But it seems a bit high, but that could be because of the block decking.

One thing I am noticing is the sludge buildup in the block. Indicates poor maintenance.

Yeah that lobe doesn't look that great and I noticed the score in the one journal. But it still has some life in it. When you get a new one, go back a few years and get a Zero degree cam. The later ones were retarded by 1* for emissions.

Couple of thousands on the pistons should be OK, but I think you'll find just 6 will be the hottest. But we're probably talking 10 to 15 degrees. There doesn't seem to be many complaints about them. Maybe it's the sleeves.

Be careful about using high performance parts for street use. They are made for high speeds and not for street use. You might be good with a good set of high quality standards bearings. In the gas world, that high performance stuff is known to fail prematurely on the street.

Yes going to use mostly stock Cummins parts with the obvious exceptions as far as the cam will a 6bt and the older 24v work are the cam profiles the same? Or just run the +1 offset keyway for a common rail cam.

Remember I'm looking to eventually get 600 hp what should be done inside the motor? I'd hate to have to open it up again. I'm doing oil pump n cooler arp rod, head, flex plate bolts, anything else I'm forgetting?

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

The Key will work too. I thought about that, but I'm more old school. Look into a performance cam, but don't get a regrind. I don't know about the profiles. Never looked at it. But the older may be to your advantage. I think, they all worked in the 5.9's. Don't quote me on that. You'll need to look it up. You may want to upgrade the valve springs though. Nothing too crazy. the stronger springs will reduce valve float at higher RPM's

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

The Key will work too. I thought about that, but I'm more old school. Look into a performance cam, but don't get a regrind. I don't know about the profiles. Never looked at it. But the older may be to your advantage. I think, they all worked in the 5.9's. Don't quote me on that. You'll need to look it up. You may want to upgrade the valve springs though. Nothing too crazy. the stronger springs will reduce valve float at higher RPM's
    So your thinking the 12 valve Cam may be a better option but only it fits and what you thinking like 60 pounds rooms

8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Stock cam and 110# valve springs will easily support 600hp. I'm currently at 850rwhp with my early '07 5.9, stock cam, stock push rods, and 115# valve springs. Other details are upgraded block stiffener, peened 12v rods, ARP main and rod bolts. Trucks been daily driven at this power level for 32,000 miles now with no issue's. Engine was built by Drew Pumphrey of D&J Precision Machine, same company that built Lavon Miller's 6.7 deckplate engine that won DPC '15 and the Ultimate Callout Challenge earlier this year.

9. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, dmuney liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Ok head and crankshaft have been dropped off at the machine shop. As far as camshafts go would it be best to run the 12valve cam? Would I use my 05 cam gear? Oh ya for anybody wanting to know the cylinder that had the bandaid had a .050 ridge at the top of the cylinder where the dark spot was machine shop said they could save it , they would just need to use a little thicker wall liner.

05 2500 4x4 SB White on Black, Fass 150, Edge Atitude, dual remote oil filters, on board air, hid & led everywhere

11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

It's rebuild time

Ok here is a recap i recently dropped my engine parts off for machine they told me over the phone $1000 = or - 1 or 2 hundred. so i said ok dropped them off guy was trying to tell me it was going to be $1700 I said hell no ill just load it back up in the truck then. so we argued for a minute or so we agreed $1400.00 not a penny more or less. I thought what an jerk and am i sure i wanted this place to machine my motor but i remembered when i got there i took a picture and look this has to be the biggest cam I've ever seen. It's at least 3 1/2 feet to 4ft tall [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161116/7827df672ccb5c821f1f54ca66026b2c.jpg[/o]

Sorry not sure what's up with the picture

If anybody is curious its 400 to completely go over a set of common rail rods, its 200 to deck a block, 80 a cyl. to bore, 150 to sleeve a cyl.

Last edited by dmuney; 11-16-2016 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Messed up picture

12. Thanks Jthardee, that6.7guy thanked for this post
    Likes Jthardee liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Shtuff happens. Did you check his reputation?

14. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

It's rebuild time

Shtuff happens. Did you check his reputation?
    Yes I did he is a well known and very reputable . It sounds like he does all the machine work for quit a few big rig repair facility's around here . He had mentioned when I argued about price he said (well big costs yes but that's an expensive motor you have there) so I said your right and I've already paid for it once I'm not going to buy it from you to so he said ( ok let me see what I can do to lower the bill some) . I was blown away with the way I got jerked around its like he thinks He'll just charge more as long as it less than brand new , it's not like we would just say no I'll scrap it for that price, no we just pay it ,. I won't be recommending this place to anybody unless he makes it right and treats me better.

05 2500 4x4 SB White on Black, Fass 150, Edge Atitude, dual remote oil filters, on board air, hid & led everywhere

16. Thanks that6.7guy thanked for this post
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast