Thanks Thanks:  122
Likes Likes:  218
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: It's rebuild time

1. Top Of Page | #161

User Info Menu

Re: It's rebuild time

Reading all this sound to be CP3 giving the issues. No codes? I just working on a Deere that had a similar issue. Turned out it was injection pump and some electrical issues. Had a miss and rattle everyone and then but only warm. It's a hard one to pin down I know that for sure. These Cummins are not to far from cat and Deere and I work on all 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

2. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #162

User Info Menu

What do you mean I would hear the fass? No I don't believe any dirt made it in when I removed all the fuel components I sprayed them down with brake Kleen and put the INJ, crossover tube , nut and the 2bolts in 6 different ziplock bags labeled 1-6. Rail pressure yes I can it gets up to 25000+ from what I've seen but wasn't acting up at that time. Crossover tube being erratic sounds like a good possability. I'll look into that and did I install new ones, I couldn't afford them at the time but will be buying and installing a full set on the 5th.

Another question the radiator fan when I installed the motor I installed a new fan clutch because mine set a trouble code and didn't work either . So here it is what 2 months later and that fan clutch code is back what might be your thoughts be on that subject.

I really do appreciate all your help even though you say, your an old timer that lost his marbles. Na joking I really do ! Thanks

4. Top Of Page | #163

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    What do you mean I would hear the fass? No I don't believe any dirt made it in when I removed all the fuel components I sprayed them down with brake Kleen and put the INJ, crossover tube , nut and the 2bolts in 6 different ziplock bags labeled 1-6. Rail pressure yes I can it gets up to 25000+ from what I've seen but wasn't acting up at that time. Crossover tube being erratic sounds like a good possability. I'll look into that and did I install new ones, I couldn't afford them at the time but will be buying and installing a full set on the 5th.

Another question the radiator fan when I installed the motor I installed a new fan clutch because mine set a trouble code and didn't work either . So here it is what 2 months later and that fan clutch code is back what might be your thoughts be on that subject.

I really do appreciate all your help even though you say, your an old timer that lost his marbles. Na joking I really do ! Thanks
    The fan clutch is controlled by the TPS as well as temp. Your truck has a dual TPS, they are redundant. But some things run off one and other things on the other. You know what I mean. If one of those fails, that function will fail, but not the throttle. I had this happen to me. After studying the manual, I discovered a reference to what I just said. That said, you may have a bad TPS. Grab your ankles for that one. . . Geno's has them at a pretty good price.

Talk to tim on those tubes.

What I was saying was if the FASS was bad, you can hear it laboring. Maybe you got water? I've gotten to know you as being pretty thorough. You know allot. Anyway you can cut in a pressure gauge?

Shtuff happens

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #164

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    The fan clutch is controlled by the TPS as well as temp. Your truck has a dual TPS, they are redundant. But some things run off one and other things on the other. You know what I mean. If one of those fails, that function will fail, but not the throttle. I had this happen to me. After studying the manual, I discovered a reference to what I just said. That said, you may have a bad TPS. Grab your ankles for that one. . . Geno's has them at a pretty good price.

Talk to tim on those tubes.

What I was saying was if the FASS was bad, you can hear it laboring. Maybe you got water? I've gotten to know you as being pretty thorough. You know allot. Anyway you can cut in a pressure gauge?

Shtuff happens
    I'll look into it Definitely talk to Tim Already working on gushes & whatnot and I'll share pics when I can I've got so much going on at the moment it's hard to keep up

7. Top Of Page | #165

User Info Menu

@ Polaorco here you go here is some garbage video but precision audio Let me know what you think. Yes there is some rocker arm ( valve lash) noise that I hear it's the rest I'm interested in

8. Top Of Page | #166
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for taking time on your build to share with the rest of us. Just sat this morning and read all the way through. I was excited and bummed out. Ah the trials of a rebuild.
    Thanks once again.
    Hope it all works out for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #167

User Info Menu

Ok so bad news but good at the same time . Bad news is more engine work needs to be done unfortunately.
    The good news all I need to do is replace all the exhaust valves because if 1 burned after a re-grind the others may as well . Yes I could have set the valve lash to tight, but who cares it's just a cyl head pull not another engine rebuild.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions
    Sincerely Derek

11. Top Of Page | #168

User Info Menu

Ok so bad news but good at the same time . Bad news is more engine work needs to be done unfortunately.
    The good news all I need to do is replace all the exhaust valves because if 1 burned after a re-grind the others may as well . Yes I could have set the valve lash to tight, but who cares it's just a cyl head pull not another engine rebuild.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions
    Sincerely Derek
    I completely missed that video somehow. I think I heard what you were referring too.

Well darn. Pulling the heads on these is a Pita. I'm glad I never had to do one of mine.

If I remember right, the machine shop mis-ground the seats initially?

I just found out my shop closed down. I have no idea where I can go to get machine work done now. Road trips. . . . I have a little 4 banger I need to do for my Grandson.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #169

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I completely missed that video somehow. I think I heard what you were referring too.

Well darn. Pulling the heads on these is a Pita. I'm glad I never had to do one of mine.

If I remember right, the machine shop mis-ground the seats initially?

I just found out my shop closed down. I have no idea where I can go to get machine work done now. Road trips. . . . I have a little 4 banger I need to do for my Grandson.
    Yes I agree removing the cylinder head is a pain in the *** especially with Head studs. Yes the machine shop did mess up the seats and I had to redo them. At least this time it'll be a quick change just kiss the seats and stick the valves in. yeah it's a bummer but it is what it is it gives me a good reason to make a few more changes I've been looking at those nice aluminum rocker arms they offer but what's the point. I am going to have to start saving up for the transmission rebuild

14. Top Of Page | #170

User Info Menu

Yes I agree removing the cylinder head is a pain in the *** especially with Head studs. Yes the machine shop did mess up the seats and I had to redo them. At least this time it'll be a quick change just kiss the seats and stick the valves in. yeah it's a bummer but it is what it is it gives me a good reason to make a few more changes I've been looking at those nice aluminum rocker arms they offer but what's the point. I am going to have to start saving up for the transmission rebuild
    Are You doing the trans yourself?

15. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast