Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans upgrades

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Trans upgrades

So time has come, I have the money to do performance upgrades! I'm looking at doing a he351 swap on my 03 with 100 hp injector nozzles...but first I gotta do something with the 48re. Called the guys at bd diesel and they suggested their stage 1 kit with a shift kit in the valve body. Does this sounds correct to anyone. I'm lookin. At like 1200 bucks here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trans upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by codydell01 View Post
    So time has come, I have the money to do performance upgrades! I'm looking at doing a he351 swap on my 03 with 100 hp injector nozzles...but first I gotta do something with the 48re. Called the guys at bd diesel and they suggested their stage 1 kit with a shift kit in the valve body. Does this sounds correct to anyone. I'm lookin. At like 1200 bucks here.

As an 03 owner. The 48 is pretty stout. I had my own trans done here with the following. Upgraded Frictions, with a performance front band. Rebuilt valve body, I later had to replace a front band servo, which was an upgrade. It all started because my accumulator piston rings collapsed. That said, make sure you replace them with the billet replacements. The front band servo upgrade is really great. They solved the cocking problem with dual rings. It greatly sharpened the 1-2 shift. Basically this is a stage 1 trans and a good towing/street trans. You might save some big bucks if you can find a reputable local guy and give him the parts. This is the first trans I did not do myself. Only because I'm too old to get it out and in the truck.

As far as Torque converters are concerned, look at the Precision brand. Unless you are doing tractor puls, I don't see much of a reason to go with anything more than their high end single disc.

The 351 upgrade is good, but you won't get what you're expecting from it. The 03's are pretty clean to start. The 351 actually will slow it down. The extra air from the turbo, leans the exhaust even more. Leaner exhaust means lower turbo speeds and pressures. But there is a slight performance + to it.

I did 50HP injectors.Talk to @AccurateDiesel about them......Mixed emotions with the results

I might suggest you look into the MM3 Tuner. I am currently working with Ray @Double R Diesel working out the kinks in the software for our trucks.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    As an 03 owner. The 48 is pretty stout. I had my own trans done here with the following. Upgraded Frictions, with a performance front band. Rebuilt valve body, I later had to replace a front band servo, which was an upgrade. It all started because my accumulator piston rings collapsed. That said, make sure you replace them with the billet replacements. The front band servo upgrade is really great. They solved the cocking problem with dual rings. It greatly sharpened the 1-2 shift. Basically this is a stage 1 trans and a good towing/street trans. You might save some big bucks if you can find a reputable local guy and give him the parts. This is the first trans I did not do myself. Only because I'm too old to get it out and in the truck.

As far as Torque converters are concerned, look at the Precision brand. Unless you are doing tractor puls, I don't see much of a reason to go with anything more than their high end single disc.

The 351 upgrade is good, but you won't get what you're expecting from it. The 03's are pretty clean to start. The 351 actually will slow it down. The extra air from the turbo, leans the exhaust even more. Leaner exhaust means lower turbo speeds and pressures. But there is a slight performance + to it.

I did 50HP injectors.Talk to @AccurateDiesel about them......Mixed emotions with the results

I might suggest you look into the MM3 Tuner. I am currently working with Ray @Double R Diesel working out the kinks in the software for our trucks.
    I Run a smarty jr and thinking about going with the st... But as far as the 351 goes I was looking at it for power and boost gains l, egts aren't really a consern for me. What's some other ways I can make extra boost to keep up with the injectors?

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That was my point. . .I was running a quadzilla back when I did my 351 swap. I really didn't gain much from it. But with the Junior, you may see more than I did. The point wasn't about EGT's. The new turbo will lower them and slow the turbo down. That's what I got

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

In the injector nozzle department, we would be glad to help - both 50 and 100 HP nozzle kits in stock with brand new OEM nozzles. $50 IGOTA discount.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions.

8. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    In the injector nozzle department, we would be glad to help - both 50 and 100 HP nozzle kits in stock with brand new OEM nozzles. $50 IGOTA discount.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions.
    I for will for sure be contacting you

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks Tim. Do you think he should just stay with the 50's?

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well, there is a lot that goes into that discussion. In general, if someone is buying 100HP nozzles they should be the more serious performance-oriented individual. They are not right for everyone - 50's are a great drop in that are easy to live with. 100's will probably drop you mileage and create a little more smoke.....

11. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I plan on doing more performances based mods later so would it be better to go with 100?

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

100's will definitely give you more room to grow than 50's. If power in that range is your ultimate goal, then you definitely don't want to undersize the nozzles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast