Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How do I learn more about tuning theory or dynamics? What do I want?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

How do I learn more about tuning theory or dynamics? What do I want?

Sent from phone

So my goal is MPG and longevity. I figured lower hp would mean better mpg and and longevity of the engine and trans as long as it didn't lug.

Double R is busy and has a lot going on, I will get warp tuning eventually from him, but I thought I would learn more about what I want, while getting used to the truck and the Ultra tuner.

I'm curious - I asked Franz what to put some setting at for mpg and if there was a chart on what to select. I was told the higher hp tunes will give you better gas mileage if you are light on the pedal. I know you ussually give up one thing for another. I assumed power for mpg, but maybe as the tunes go from 0 up they are better and more effecient. So then I got confused a little.

I guess it makes sense that with a better tune you would get better timing for combustion, higher fuel pressure = a better mist, higher air/turbo = more o2 to detonate.

In regards to using a higher hp tune, can the throttle/pedal then be turned down or limited to compensate for the higher hp so that with a more agressive tune you would be forced to go slow? Would it turn the response down or just set a limit to the throttle?

I was thinking once the ultra is installed is boost a good way to know if I am wasting fuel in a particular tune? So the more pedal, would be more boost, thus worse mpg? Should I watch something different? The RPM seems like it wouldn't work to well. For example, to get out of granny/1st gear it feels like the rpms have to get pretty high.

Another thought, I have a 2012 which is the same 6.7, can I decrease the hp to come more inline w hp specs from '10 or '11 for longevity of the rig? Is the def fluid the thing that makes better mpg in the 13± trucks, It increases the amount of fuel, or what?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: How do I learn more about tuning theory or dynamics? What do I want?

I am still new to the 6.7's and the exhaust junk. I think the DEF decreases fuel uses and makes Regens further from one another. as for the tunes, with the smarty on my 06, I saw peak MPG with the 90HP tune IF and only IF I could keep my foot off the floor. @Polaraco had an 08 with the 6.7 and saw peak MPG with the 120HP tune on the H&S Maxx he had. But he is an older guy and doesn't drive with his foot to the floor. He is an MPG guru though

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

3. Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sent from phone,

Interesting. I did see this am my 1st gear shifts at about 1500 rpm stock. I was thinking maybe try and keep it under 2k rpm and see what the mpg says on a drive to work from my driveway. Its mostly highway, or maybe starting from the freeway on ramp at the same speeds. Then I could compare every day and test out driving by staying under certain dynamics like boost, rpm, etc esp since I use cruise a lot. Maybe once that maximum goal/thredhold is known a warning for that dynamic could be put on my ultra when I cross a threshold that is annoying enough or visual enough to let up on the throttle. Is dynamic the right word?

Just curious with the truck. With my boat, my goal is no more than 4k rpm becuase its nearly the lowest to stay on plane amd mot slowly come of planning, and not be wasting gas when above 4k - after a lot of research this was the marine forums consensus. Then I play with trim for comfort over different waves, vs porposing, vs speed on the GPS, then just sit back and enjoy the ride and sun

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have found on my '12 that keeping rpms around 1700 on the highway provides the best MPGs. With my gearing this is about 70mph. This is stock and tuned. It's all about managing wind resistance for the most part.

The factory tuning on the non-DEF trucks is a lot 'dirtier' then the newer trucks. The way I understand it (smarter people please correct me ) to help keep NOx down, more EGR is used which requires more fuel to make combustion. This helps for NOx but this creates more soot, lots more. So even more fuel is added after combustion to mix with the soot in the DPF to help the Regen process. This is why deleting and tuning these trucks nets such big gains.

The newer trucks use DEF to react with the exhaust to cut down NOx so less EGR is used which leads to less soot, less Regens and ultimately less fuel is needed. This means less MPG gains when deleting.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I have found on my '12 that keeping rpms around 1700 on the highway provides the best MPGs. With my gearing this is about 70mph. This is stock and tuned. It's all about managing wind resistance for the most part.

The factory tuning on the non-DEF trucks is a lot 'dirtier' then the newer trucks. The way I understand it (smarter people please correct me ) to help keep NOx down, more EGR is used which requires more fuel to make combustion. This helps for NOx but this creates more soot, lots more. So even more fuel is added after combustion to mix with the soot in the DPF to help the Regen process. This is why deleting and tuning these trucks nets such big gains.

The newer trucks use DEF to react with the exhaust to cut down NOx so less EGR is used which leads to less soot, less Regens and ultimately less fuel is needed. This means less MPG gains when deleting.

Greg

Sounds right from what I know, which isn't much. I'll try it now that I'm deleted w tuner, 70 gave me 18 mpg prior to the changes.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbuntu View Post
    Sounds right from what I know, which isn't much. I'll try it now that I'm deleted w tuner, 70 gave me 18 mpg prior to the changes.
    Haha!! I know the feeling. I just dumped everything I've learned in the last 3 years in the one post . On summer fuel I can easily hit 22 hand calculated if I stay close to 70 or below. I lose 2 mpg on winter fuel.

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI