Thread: Stock boost gauge/reading

1. Top Of Page | #11

Re: Stock boost gauge/reading

Sounds good Thanks for the help bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
    The stock MAP sensor will only read to 36 psi. That doesn't mean that the stock VGT won't make more than that. However 34-36 psi is the max you want to push that turbo as after that it's getting out of its map and is no longer efficient. Keeping it down around the 32 mark like Ray's tuning does is a better option than trying to push it to the max. As mentioned above, if you don't have a drive pressure gauge you want to be careful as well as you don't want that getting out of hand.

What a lot of guys fail to remember as well is that boost isn't necessarily a measure of airflow, it's a measure of restriction. You can run all the boost you want but if your intake and engine are choking it you're still not getting good airflow.
    Grate info thank u very much. What's a good gage to get to monitor drive pressure ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I like ISSPRO, Ray recommended these and I'm happy with them.

http://www.isspro.com/page.php?page=...Product_Series.

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 CCSB 6.7 Cummins. 3.42 gears. EGR Delete. Flo~Pro 5 inch TBE. ARP 625's. GDP grid delete and S2. 464 BMP Turbo on 2nd Gen Manifold. BD Exhaust Brake. Fass 150G Fuel System. BBI 1.5's. Exergy 10mm Stroker Pump. RevMax 68RFE 700 Series. Dual remote oil filters. Thuren coils. Carli progressive leafs with Thuren Kings 2.5. AMP Steps. Snow Performance Water/Meth Stage 2. BDS Recoil Traction Bars.
    Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35's on 20 x 10 Fuel Vapors.

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Where do we monitor drive pressure from? Anyone got pics?

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

@TX NIGHT TRAIN You have to tap the turbo manifold for a drive pressure gauge. Pretty straight forward setup, but you'll need a coil of copper line to cool the exhaust gases down so it doesn't fry the gauge/sensor.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Likes joel14cummins liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

@RamIt I was wondering about the copper lines. Good to know. Be a lot easier once I get time to get my other parts out of the way.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

8. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

@TX NIGHT TRAIN It doesn't appear to be a difficult task, you can tap the manifold with it on the truck still. You just drill/tap it while the engine is running so it blows all the shavings out of the hole. 1/8" NPT fitting with your copper coil and then your gauge attached to the coil. Definitely a good idea if you tow a lot in the mountains, or are running higher than stock boost pressure.

Personally, I wish the Ultra would read the exhaust pressure considering there is a sensor there for it from the factory; same with EGT.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

9. Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I use ISSPRO gauges; very happy with them. For the drive pressure I have it installed in the EGR cooler block off plate as it was already taped for a fitting. The coil of copper runs up from there to decipate the heat and then to an electronic sensor wired to the gauge.

11. Thanks RamIt, TX NIGHT TRAIN, theaaronbush, Power247 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I'm sure it's been covered but where to we want that drive/back pressure to be? Stock and with studs?

13. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    I'm sure it's been covered but where to we want that drive/back pressure to be? Stock and with studs?
    Essentially as close to your boost pressure as possible. A 1:1 ratio is ideal but not common. Good tuning often yields lower drive pressure, poor tuning will yield higher. With Ray's custom tunes my drive pressure is very good. I don't recall what I've maxed it out at. But I know pulling 10,000 lbs up a 7% grade I was running 27 psi of boost and 28 psi of drive pressure which is very good.
    Given that you don't want to push the stock VGT much past 34 psi I personally wouldn't want to see more than about 51 psi of drive pressure (1:1.5 ratio). That's under load of course. Using the exhaust brake is a completely different story. I've buried my 60 psi drive pressure gauge on the exhaust brake. When there's no combustion pressures going on drive pressure isn't as much of a worry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast