Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust manifolds & compounds vs. 2nd gen swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhaust manifolds & compounds vs. 2nd gen swap

I am just starting to think ahead of future upgrades I want to pursue. I have seen a lot of people doing 2nd gen swaps, but I am more leaning to going the compound turbo setup as I really don't want to lose my exhaust brake. Since this is going to be heavy on the wallet I wanted to start small and piece by piece what I can. I have only seen two kits on the market so far (Hardway Performance and one from Pusher), but suggestions/recommendations are welcomed!

For starters I was looking at exhaust manifolds. Both these kits are designed to work with the stock manifold, but I would like something that flows a bit better. The only aftermarket manifold I've seen that retains the factory location for the turbo flange is the AFE BladeRunner. It's only ~$500 so I was thinking I could do this right off the bat. From here I could go up to the basic compound kit or swap out my factory VGT for a Fleece Cheetah. Either way I want to eventually upgrade my VGT to the Cheetah.

The biggest questions I have are in regards to fueling. With this setup what injectors would be best? What about the CP3: will a stroker (say a 10mm stroker) be enough or will I need to run a dual CP3 setup?

2016 3500 CCSB SRW Aisin 3.42s: RaceMe Ultra w/Double R Diesel Warp tuning, AFE 5" TBE, GDP S2 intake & TVGH, Air Boss 67 plenum, Rok-Tek grill, SPOD & some LEDs.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust manifolds & compounds vs. 2nd gen swap

@dieseljeeper You can do a second gen swap and put on an after market EB. What kind of hp are you looking to get? If you are thinking around 650ish the 10 mm should work with maybe 100 hp injectors. I went with the BBI 1.5's but don't forget about the tranny

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 CCSB 6.7 Cummins. 3.42 gears. EGR Delete. Flo~Pro 5 inch TBE. ARP 625's. GDP grid delete and S2. 464 BMP Turbo on 2nd Gen Manifold. BD Exhaust Brake. Fass 150G Fuel System. BBI 1.5's. Exergy 10mm Stroker Pump. RevMax 68RFE 700 Series. Dual remote oil filters. Thuren coils. Carli progressive leafs with Thuren Kings 2.5. AMP Steps. Snow Performance Water/Meth Stage 2. BDS Recoil Traction Bars.
    Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35's on 20 x 10 Fuel Vapors.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    @dieseljeeper You can do a second gen swap and put on an after market EB. What kind of hp are you looking to get? If you are thinking around 650ish the 10 mm should work with maybe 100 hp injectors. I went with the BBI 1.5's but don't forget about the tranny
    I'd love to get into the 600-700hp range. I'm not familiar with adding an exhaust brake to a 2nd gen swap. The BBI 1.5s have come up in discussion with a few other people. These are what I was leaning towards as far as injectors.

Tranny I'm SOL until that RaceMe Warp tuning is available for the Aisin. I see RevMax has a built one listed for 2013-2015 ($8k ), but not 2016 and I only have 24k on mine as it is. My plan was to address this after the compounds and supporting mods.

2016 3500 CCSB SRW Aisin 3.42s: RaceMe Ultra w/Double R Diesel Warp tuning, AFE 5" TBE, GDP S2 intake & TVGH, Air Boss 67 plenum, Rok-Tek grill, SPOD & some LEDs.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I got a BD exhaust on order here is a link:
    https://www.dieselperformance.com/sh...gt-turbo-18203

2014 Ram Laramie 3500 CCSB 6.7 Cummins. 3.42 gears. EGR Delete. Flo~Pro 5 inch TBE. ARP 625's. GDP grid delete and S2. 464 BMP Turbo on 2nd Gen Manifold. BD Exhaust Brake. Fass 150G Fuel System. BBI 1.5's. Exergy 10mm Stroker Pump. RevMax 68RFE 700 Series. Dual remote oil filters. Thuren coils. Carli progressive leafs with Thuren Kings 2.5. AMP Steps. Snow Performance Water/Meth Stage 2. BDS Recoil Traction Bars.

5. Likes dieseljeeper liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

In for info...I also have some future plans. The thought of compounds is definitely intriguing.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

7. Likes dieseljeeper liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Go with twins and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes dieseljeeper liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@dieseljeeper Got my exhaust brake on and it works well with the dash switch, haven't towed with it yet, next week I'll tow a skidsteer and see how it works.

11. Thanks Cummins7, dieseljeeper thanked for this post
    Likes Cummins7, dieseljeeper, Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You have any pics? How was getting everything to mate up to your 5" exhaust? Both the 2nd gen kit and then once you got the EB. Thanks DanO!

Lastly, how do you like it compared to the VGT? I've read other posts/forums of people saying they preferred their VGT over the BD EB so I've been skeptical.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dieseljeeper View Post
    You have any pics? How was getting everything to mate up to your 5" exhaust? Both the 2nd gen kit and then once you got the EB. Thanks DanO!

Lastly, how do you like it compared to the VGT? I've read other posts/forums of people saying they preferred their VGT over the BD EB so I've been skeptical.
    With the 464 it comes with 4" down pipe. So it was just a matter of putting it on before I transitioned back to the five inch pipe. I like it so far.

Attached Images Attached Images

14. Thanks dieseljeeper thanked for this post
    Likes dieseljeeper liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have been wanting to do a 2nd gen swap on my truck Im not sure which kit to go with. Black market performance is the cheapest out of them all so Im leaning towards that but I also don't want to buy a kit that isn't quality. Any input on these kits?

2013 6.7 raceme ultra warp tuning full delete 5 inch tbe s&b intake southbend dual disk clutch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast