Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade my clutch but which one?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Looking to upgrade my clutch but which one?

Hey group I have a 16 2500 with a manual transmission. It only has 5,000 miles on it, I'm currently running an injen intake and edge with juice. I'm mainly using the edge for speedo recalibration and as a monitor so I normally keep it on 0 power level. I wanted to see how noticeable the power levels were. I set it on level 4 and drove it around, I experienced clutch slip getting on a freeway on ramp and while passing going up hill. This happened on levels 3 and 4 unknoticeable 1-2.

Is the clutch really that weak?? I tow a 25 boat without issue on 0. I do plan on doing a lot more towing in the near future and would like to use the benefits of the tuner but not at the expense of the clutch so I'm looking at upgrading the clutch. I'm looking for a clutch that can hold the weight and the added HP. Any suggestions?

2016 Tradesman 6.7 manual. Pile of parts waiting to be installed.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member youcancallme_austin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Looking to upgrade my clutch but which one?

Yeah the factories are junk, that's a first priority right next to head studs, IMO if I'm gonna lay any power to anything. Valair is my cup of tea, I used to be a southbend guy, but Valair has treated me a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thoughts on center force? Read a magazine article about a dual disk that is quite and shifts almost like a stock setup

2016 Tradesman 6.7 manual. Pile of parts waiting to be installed.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member youcancallme_austin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Never heard of them, so I can't give any insight. I'll stand behind Valair though, they've never left me stranded LOL

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I am a backer of Valair clutches. Dan and his team stand behind their products.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Another vote for valair as that's what I had in my old 01. But I may be biased as they are a Texas company and within driving distance.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

2019 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 CCSB 68RFE 3.73 Diamond Black Black Out Edition RBP Stealth Steps
    Sold-2012 Ram 2500 CCLB 4x4 68RFE 3.73 True Blue Pearl

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

getting ready to drop a clutch in my 15' in a couple months, I plan on going with a valair quiet DD

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

I would recommend the Valair Towing Duel Disc. It will hold the power you need while still being very smooth engagement.

Diesel Dawgs Performance
    (828)399-1556

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Chris_24V thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Valair DD.

'06 3500 SRW LWB
    G56 Valair DD
    90HP Dynomite Injs.
    Cat. Removed
    Wallet Empty
    AutoMeter Pyro.

12. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Ok guys, I'm not the up on all the tuners now, and since I'm only experience on mine. But if he keeps it at say .. an additional 60 HP with his stock clutch, shouldn't this work for his towing needs and performance ? I've read a lot that when you crank the HP up and smoke the tire a lot you'll fry the clutch on a manual or throw parts all over the place in an auto. But if you keep the additional power on the lower side and drive reasonable, you usually don't have a problem and while towing a large load doing it.

Ok, I'm old and have thrown money out like water off a ducks back for decades. But with a new '16 truck and only 5k ? New trans guts now ? It seems like a mega waste of cash right now instead of other items/toys to me.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast