Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C not blowing hard

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: A/C not blowing hard

I ended up replacing my blower motor. Still doesn't blow as hard as my 2015 truck. Still the same. So, NO I have not found the problem yet. Just living with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith1316 View Post
    I ended up replacing my blower motor. Still doesn't blow as hard as my 2015 truck. Still the same. So, NO I have not found the problem yet. Just living with it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2014...XhNANMQgTYI6gM

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

As I said, the first thing I replaced was the resistor! No help!

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Sorry didn't catch that. Reading on a phone overlook things easily

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I did everything the OP did as well (pulled dash new AC evaporator, did a new heater core while I was in there, new blower motor and added the retrofit cabin air filter). Also did a new compressor, expansion valve and condenser so that I had all new AC parts. The evaporator was slammed full of garbage and after I got it all back together it performed a whole lot better (blows about 55 degrees out of the vents on a summer day) BUT even on high airflow still not impressive. I think the factory set up is just not all that great. Why they didn’t build these trucks (I have a 2012) with a cabin filter from the start is beyond me.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

OK guys, riddle me this. As I mentioned yesterday I completely rebuilt my AC system last year from front to back and got the AC working SO much better (this is a 2012). Last night I got the family loaded up in the truck to go out to dinner and while we were trying to figure out where we were going to eat (rule is truck doesn't leave the driveway until we figure out where we are going to eat) I noted that the vents were only pushing cool-ish air. Once we got to moving she cooled right down. I think I recall hearing someone mention in a thread that the fan clutch is supposed to lock up when the AC is turned on. Is that accurate? If so, that may be why I'm not getting cool enough air out of the vents when parked due to reduced airflow past the condenser. I don't hear it making any kind of a different fan noise when AC is turned on but compressor seems to be cycling on and off more frequently than it should. Whenever I've been towing in the mountains and the fan engages it's definitely obvious that she's on. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

UPDATE:
    I did some additional digging online and discovered this to be a known issue (fan clutch not locking and engine fan freewheeling when idling and AC on). AC compressor is kicking on and off frequently at idle due to high pressure, which is due to inadequate airflow across condenser. Chrysler apparently tried out a few different fan clutches back a few years ago to address the issue. Based on what I know it looks like part number 68155609AB should be the way to go. Old style clutch as same part number, but ending in "aa". Genos had the best price ($360) for the original Mopar part that I could find. Will let you all know if this does the trick.

8. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I'm interested to hear what happens please report back. I've also gone through the entire process you have with pull A/C box replacing condenser, evap, fan etc. and the air flow did not seem to improve at all in my 2012.

9. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtrakel View Post
    I'm interested to hear what happens please report back. I've also gone through the entire process you have with pull A/C box replacing condenser, evap, fan etc. and the air flow did not seem to improve at all in my 2012.
    Yup it was a bear to get the fan clutch off but now it’s working great with the new one. AC temperature at the vents at idle was around 57 degrees the other day when I checked it. Definitely more fan noise at idle and driving around too so I know it’s working the fan more.

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

10. Likes walla2k5, Power247 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12