Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Scratched Windows!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Scratched Windows!!

I wasn't sure if this is the right area to post this sorry if it is and is a problem.
    I bought a used 13 2500 it had about 50k miles on it and the truck is pretty clean inside and out however all windows are scratched. The driver and passenger the worse. They are deep scratches on outside that catch your fingernails. I'm assuming they can't be fixed and got a quote from one glass place so far that it'd be about 700$ to replace. I've been wanting to tint the windows to keep the heat down and help protect the interior from uv. A tint guy told me since the tint is on inside and scratches on the outside the scratches will be very visable. I don't want to waste money on tint and make it look worse than already is and hopefully replace down the line and pay for tint again.
    I was curious if anyone has had problems with scratches? I see work trucks that go through hell and constantly dirty and don't have scratches like these. Also if anyone knows better places to get replacement glass and what would need to be done to prevent new glass from scratches, such as really clean the felts and window guides?
    Any input is appreciated thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Scratched Windows!!

I would definitely clean the guides the seal and pull the door panel to make sure nothing is rubbing or bent inside the door.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Agree with @TX NIGHT TRAIN ... I have seen every possible cause of scratches on the front windshield, but never seen a scratch on the sides. Either someone didn't like the prior owner, or there was someting in the door itself that could cause this. Also your thoughts are right, replace before tinting ... extremely cheaper that way.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sounds like a beach truck. Where sand gets blown into the window track and guides. There's no saving glass that is etched that bad. And you definitely want to make sure you get everything clean before installing new glass so it doesn't happen again.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Check window pricing from private owner shops. Some will give significant discounts if it's not an insurance claim.

Thomas-2012 Saddle Brown Pearl CCSB

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DD10 View Post
    I wasn't sure if this is the right area to post this sorry if it is and is a problem.
    I bought a used 13 2500 it had about 50k miles on it and the truck is pretty clean inside and out however all windows are scratched. The driver and passenger the worse. They are deep scratches on outside that catch your fingernails. I'm assuming they can't be fixed and got a quote from one glass place so far that it'd be about 700$ to replace. I've been wanting to tint the windows to keep the heat down and help protect the interior from uv. A tint guy told me since the tint is on inside and scratches on the outside the scratches will be very visable. I don't want to waste money on tint and make it look worse than already is and hopefully replace down the line and pay for tint again.
    I was curious if anyone has had problems with scratches? I see work trucks that go through hell and constantly dirty and don't have scratches like these. Also if anyone knows better places to get replacement glass and what would need to be done to prevent new glass from scratches, such as really clean the felts and window guides?
    Any input is appreciated thanks!
    once a window gets scratch that badly i would replace them but before id do you need to find out the cause and correct it... can you post a picture of the damage

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    ... Sounds like a beach truck. Where sand gets blown into the window track and guides. ....

If I remember the area he listed being in, it's next to Medesto, Ca. That was farm country in general out there. But with the State Government stopping the watering of the farm land because of a river smelt that isn't native and mostly dead now, the farm land is more like desert again. (That whole area use to look like a Norman Rockwell painting once, I rode my Harley through there a lot in the past) Could be the cause if the truck originated from there. That is abrasive when blown and is somewhat of a fine material. Depends on the depth.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    If I remember the area he listed being in, it's next to Medesto, Ca. That was farm country in general out there. But with the State Government stopping the watering of the farm land because of a river smelt that isn't native and mostly dead now, the farm land is more like desert again. (That whole area use to look like a Norman Rockwell painting once, I rode my Harley through there a lot in the past) Could be the cause if the truck originated from there. That is abrasive when blown and is somewhat of a fine material. Depends on the depth.
    Good point. I wasn't sure where OP was from. It's a shame to hear about the farm land. What a shame

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI