Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Has anyone Instaled a cabin air filter?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Has anyone Instaled a cabin air filter?

My truck has this funky smell most times after it hasn't been driven in a while. I haven't noticed as much but many people comment on it. It's a 13 Laramie longhorn with 65,000 miles. I've owned it for about 15,000 of those. Well I was thinking about looking into changing the cabin air filter, (by the way never changed one in a vehicle before) to my surprised found that dodge decided not to install them anymore. So I came across this guy on YouTube "motor city mechanic" Who by the way has great videos on some maintnaice and problems dealers have been encountering, but Genos garage https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...12/cab-filters sells this filter package for $29 you just cut out a spot where it would have been slide the filter in and it comes with a plastic cover/cap.
    Seems like a no brainer price wise and task level so I was wondering if anyone has done it yet and there thoughts on it.

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Has anyone Instaled a cabin air filter?

Haven't done it yet but is on my list. That smell comes from the moisture sitting in the evaporator core I believe. Mine smells funny sometimes just from sitting over night specially in the summer months when the air is always on.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I ordered the door from Geno's a while back . It seems easy enough to do just haven't done it yet

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I've installed one on both of my trucks, my 1500 and 3500. Install is very simple, and I've noticed it helps with the smell you've mentioned. It's too cheap to not do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

8. Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yes on my 2012

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill aka: Alaska Dodge
    USAF Vet.
    2012 Ram 3500 MegaCab
    Cummins 6.7L H.O.
    Full Deletes, H&S Mini Maxx w/OD, aFe 2 stage intake

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes! too easy to cut along the line and stick a filter in

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Here’s what you get on a 2012 with no cabin air filter and about 120k miles of use.

AC was going warm on long trips because of insufficient air flow across the (clogged) evaporator.

It was actually freezing into a block of ice because of this condition and not allowing any air to go through it.

I pulled the dash, new evaporator and new heater core while I was in there. I also replaced the condenser and compressor and all o-rings at the same time so that I was basically starting over fresh.

Also added the @Geno's Garage air filter to hopefully prevent this from recurring.

If you have to pull the dash, watch the motor city mechanic videos on YouTube. He will show you where all the hidden bolts are located and how to do the job easily without pulling steering column.

The evaporator core was totally clogged with dirt and who knows what else.

The AC worked 10X better and no smell after it was all said and done.

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

14. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV, timshooter40, ringbearer thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, 4kids2dogs&RV, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Cabin Filter Install

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=48080&share_tid=14447&url=https%3A %2F%2Fwww%2Eigotacummins%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp% 3Ft%3D14447&share_type=t&link_source=app

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

My truck came with a cab filter but every 3 months on all vehicles I will spray Ozium in the cab floor with the air on circulation mode.

Tons of help with smells in the vehicle and in the HVAC.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

18. Likes Collin42 liked this post