Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dying after hard acceleration

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Dying after hard acceleration

After researching this for hours I am not finding a definitive answer on why my truck dies after getting into it. This started to happen after I turned the raptor 150 up to 20-21 psi at idle. Truck has 150 vco injectors and I am confused on why this just appeared after turning it up a bit. Also has a HO pump on the truck currently, no codes have came up and in order to start the truck I have to get out and prime it. Each time I have to prime it is taking longer to get the truck started. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920P

2. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Dying after hard acceleration

Are there any other hp products on the engine or just the injectors?

I'm also not understanding why you pointed out the HO pump. Although I'm assuming you're referring to the VP but if you have an HO motor then you "should" have the HO pump unless it was changed. Meaning, the SO VP can pump more volume than the HO VP and is typically a common replacement for the HO VP when looking for a replacement, and power upgrades are in mind. So point being is, if you have an SO motor with an HO pump then thats not good.

Lastly, what are your fuel pressures. Not just idle but cruising and WOT?

Is the Raptor newer? What fuel lines and fittings are on there?

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
    Are there any other hp products on the engine or just the injectors?

I'm also not understanding why you pointed out the HO pump. Although I'm assuming you're referring to the VP but if you have an HO motor then you "should" have the HO pump unless it was changed. Meaning, the SO VP can pump more volume than the HO VP and is typically a common replacement for the HO VP when looking for a replacement, and power upgrades are in mind. So point being is, if you have an SO motor with an HO pump then thats not good.

Lastly, what are your fuel pressures. Not just idle but cruising and WOT?

Is the Raptor newer? What fuel lines and fittings are on there?
    HO vp was just for added information in case it mattered. I am fairly new to this so I am still unsure what is relevant and what is not, found out after calling a couple of different people that the I am most likely air locking the vp. Now I just let off easy and the issue is no more. Appreciate it though

Sent from my SM-N920P

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

That still didn't answer my question though.....and yes, it is relevant.

Why?.....Because the HO motors gained their minor hp/tq over the SO motors by generating more pressure in the VP and and adding more timing to the fueling, and running smaller injectors. Therefor the HO VP is different than the SO VP and will not only decrease performance on an SO motor but will also require a timing box in order to offset the missing timing the SO ECM did not supply. Again, hopefully you didnt install an HO VP on an SO motor.

But in regards to "air locking" the VP. Yes, this is possible but not with what you've said you have for HP. 150 injectors wont flow enough to purge a VP at WOT. But.....combine those sticks with an Adrenaline or Quad on full setting and you betcha, purging the VP can be a problem.

I still want to know what your fuel pressures are during all running conditions, and fuel lines/fittings, to verify the fuel supply is adequate. But hey, if you're OK with your situation and dont want to address it any further then I'm good with stopping here.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It is a HO truck, also found part of the issue was I still have the stock rinky dink lines from the fuel filter housing to the VP. Since then I bought the Fass 150 and am running it straight to the VP with 1/2 inch line. I am running the Smarty on level 8 but the edge I have is off when this occured. Fuel pressure
    Idle=20
    Normal Driving=17ish
    Hard Acceleration=14 to 15
    Also the truck had the stock Banjo fitting but now it is the 1/2 all the way through. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-N920P

7. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ah.....now that sounds right. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ah.....now that sounds right. Glad to hear you got it figured out.
    A lot of reading LOL, Fass was the main thing that helped. Raptor 150 would drop to 8 p.s.i with the edge past level 2 but a P Pump is sounding much better every day. I did all this at once so I wonder if it was the small lines from the filter housing? The raptor? Or maybe the stock Banjo?

Sent from my SM-N920P

9. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjmajek View Post
    A lot of reading LOL, Fass was the main thing that helped. Raptor 150 would drop to 8 p.s.i with the edge past level 2 but a P Pump is sounding much better every day. I did all this at once so I wonder if it was the small lines from the filter housing? The raptor? Or maybe the stock Banjo?
    Yeah thats a big drop in pressure, especially for a 150. Although where the idle set would best understand how much the overall pressure should drop for your setup. Meaning, 3-5 psi is usually max for a 150 and 1/2" lines with JIC fittings. Using the OEM line and/or banjo fittings will always result in poor volume and unstable pressure. The fuel filter housing doesnt restrict any unless you're after massive fueling for massive power.

I run a 100 with an EZ and 275's and see about a 4 psi drop from idle to WOT. But I have all 1/2" lines and JIC fittings. I even use the OEM fuel filter housing for sake of the WIF sensor and the fuel heater.

As for a p-pump..... You may want to reconsider that. Yes there's plenty of people who've done this, but its very expensive and effectively converts the wide power curve of the 24 valve into the narrow 12 valve power curve without all the advantages of customizable electronics. Plus you loose some other related electronics as well. I'm not downplaying a p-pump conversion either but merely saying that doing so is not all roses.

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yeah thats a big drop in pressure, especially for a 150. Although where the idle set would best understand how much the overall pressure should drop for your setup. Meaning, 3-5 psi is usually max for a 150 and 1/2" lines with JIC fittings. Using the OEM line and/or banjo fittings will always result in poor volume and unstable pressure. The fuel filter housing doesnt restrict any unless you're after massive fueling for massive power.

I run a 100 with an EZ and 275's and see about a 4 psi drop from idle to WOT. But I have all 1/2" lines and JIC fittings. I even use the OEM fuel filter housing for sake of the WIF sensor and the fuel heater.

As for a p-pump..... You may want to reconsider that. Yes there's plenty of people who've done this, but its very expensive and effectively converts the wide power curve of the 24 valve into the narrow 12 valve power curve without all the advantages of customizable electronics. Plus you loose some other related electronics as well. I'm not downplaying a p-pump conversion either but merely saying that doing so is not all roses.
    Oh yeah. Fuel the craziest I have seen the raptor drop is about 8 p.s.i. How about low end power on the p pump vs the Vp44? Towing is my only concern with the P pump conversion.

Sent from my SM-N920P

11. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Towing power is the same but the VP offers a wider range of power over that of the p-pump. But.....the p-pump will make a LOT more power than the VP as the VP is pretty tapped out at 500 hp. There are performance VP's which will top that (IE, Scheids Diesel) but most people after that kinda power are running p-pumps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast