Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best intake elbow

1. Top Of Page | #21
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I will agree that an intake elbow replacement will not make a huge difference in torque and hp. I have pointed this out a few times on other forums but no one seems to want to listen. The 6.7s run twice the gird heater area of late model 5.9s so they will flow more air even stock than the 5.9s. It is very easy to do some porting to a stock 6.7 intake elbow to help it flow a bit better. No one has posted how much better an aftermarket 6.7 manifold flows over stock or a ported manifold through the stock grid heater. The reason is that the difference is negligable IMO. The bottle neck is most likely the intake ports to the valves rather than the intake or grid heater. I have to laugh at the ignorance on many forums when it comes to CAIs and intake elbows for the 6.7s. The 5.9 guys have been making huge power and still using the stock grid heater and intake elbows which are HALF the size of a stock 6.7. From a purely performance point of view then yes these are areas of restriction but for most applications the stock intakes will still support larger turbos or compounds.

2. Top Of Page | #22
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

One other thing. The manufacturers that do flow test their manifolds test them independent of a grid heater. This is not a fair real world test by any means. My guess would be that if they tested them on a stock grid heater that there would be very little difference in airflow. But then no one would buy these products. Sorry for the truth...unless you are going all out for torque or fuel economy then there are a lot of parts out there that the law of diminishing returns apply to.

3. Top Of Page | #23
    Instagram Manager IG Operations's Avatar

User Info Menu

Best intake elbow

I was thinking about removing the grid heater and doing an aftermarket int elbow in the spring

Tag us @ #igotacummins_com to have your photos reposted.

4. Top Of Page | #24
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I LOVEEE my CFM+ !!!

5. Likes N/A liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #25
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

7. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #26
    Instagram Manager IG Operations's Avatar

User Info Menu

So BA......

Tag us @ #igotacummins_com to have your photos reposted.

9. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy-J View Post
    I was thinking about removing the grid heater and doing an aftermarket int elbow in the spring
    If that were a 6.7 Stewart and I would both tell you to do it with the shibby kit because it has the flow and a heater reloacation with high flow. But the one in the 5.9's are so open, it's a waste of time removing it. You can use the pusher 3.5" setup to compensate. I used the 3" $159 air horn and got more than I expected.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #28
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 12v_Gal View Post
    Didn't know cfm+ made a side draft?

11. Likes dmaxforsnacks liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123