Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to disable surge brakes??

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: How to disable surge brakes??

Well if they won't let you back in the hill I would say that they're working good

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just to get it into place. Jam a 2x6. Or whatever else fits into the pinch point. Iv Had to do that before. Hate those braking systems. Be VERY careful launching that boat on a slippery ramp. As you have 0 braking power while backing up down a hill.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes K-Sons, IGOTACUMMINS, Noneck liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

my little boat has a 5 way flat plug, one of the wires senses the reverse light and uses a solenoid to lock out the brakes in reverse, it also has a pin that you can manually lock out the brakes

EDIT jesus, didnt look before i posted, 2 yr old thread

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

There will be no post deleting going on here! LOL.. I've done the same thing.

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dsltech View Post
    my little boat has a 5 way flat plug, one of the wires senses the reverse light and uses a solenoid to lock out the brakes in reverse, it also has a pin that you can manually lock out the brakes

EDIT jesus, didnt look before i posted, 2 yr old thread
    It’s all good bud no worries

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Sorry @Homebrew, but I'm unsure of the braking system you have.
    I was wondering, if you just unplugged the electrical wire from the truck, doesn't that disengage the entire trailer braking system ?
    Jim. There is a master cylinder on the trailer tongue that reacts when your tow vehicle brakes. The tongue slides back into the master engaging the trailer brakes. It's like stepping on the brake in the truck.
    @Homebrew. To start with, you need a bigger drop on the stinger. The tongue is too high. That might help some.
    There may be a lockout on the master assembly. I remember a lockout pin on a boat trailer I worked on. If it isn't there, you may be able to make one with a hole to stop the master from engaging with a bolt. It's been 30 years since I worked on one.

BTW, make sure all your brake hardware is well lubricated. especially the star wheel threads. Surge brakes are self adjusting, but can compensate for wear. I guessing that rig weighs about 5500 pounds. Not fun to stop on the truck brakes,

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Likes david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcam101 View Post
    Just to get it into place. Jam a 2x6. Or whatever else fits into the pinch point. Iv Had to do that before. Hate those braking systems. Be VERY careful launching that boat on a slippery ramp. As you have 0 braking power while backing up down a hill.
    Heh I've winched out a few because of that. Gotta be sure there's no slime on the ramp. I came real close once.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    What about a ball valve in the line?

Thomas-2012 Saddle Brown Pearl CCSB
    Dangerous. The pressure in those systems can reach 10K PSI

14. Likes david3gen liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ed's2013Ram3500 View Post
    There will be no post deleting going on here! LOL.. I've done the same thing.
    Nahhh I don't delete posts. I use the ban hammer instead. LOL

Couldn't resist that

16. Likes david3gen, Ed's2013Ram3500, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Nahhh I don't delete posts. I use the ban hammer instead. LOL

Couldn't resist that
    You are the "Super Mod". Well done...Hammer on. LOL

18. Likes Power247 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast