Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil/Power Steering Leak?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil/Power Steering Leak?

Hello Everyone!

i recently purchased a 2013 Ram 2500 (6.7 with 71k miles) and what was described to me as a normal build up by the mechanic I PAID to inspect the vehicle, appears to be anything but normal.

The front of the motor on the drivers side, from the fuel pump down, has a thick black buildup on it and I'm not sure if it's PS fluid or oil? I've had two friends look at it and they both lean towards PS if that's any help.

The he problem is that whatever is leaking, it's leaking so slowly that it's not dripping or dampening the area it's leaking from.

Miso, has anyone else had a similar issue? What was your resolution?

By the way, they pinion seal on the front axle is leaking as well...

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil/Power Steering Leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro2912 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

i recently purchased a 2013 Ram 2500 (6.7 with 71k miles) and what was described to me as a normal build up by the mechanic I PAID to inspect the vehicle, appears to be anything but normal.

The front of the motor on the drivers side, from the fuel pump down, has a thick black buildup on it and I'm not sure if it's PS fluid or oil? I've had two friends look at it and they both lean towards PS if that's any help.

The he problem is that whatever is leaking, it's leaking so slowly that it's not dripping or dampening the area it's leaking from.

Miso, has anyone else had a similar issue? What was your resolution?

By the way, they pinion seal on the front axle is leaking as well...

http://i68.tinypic.com/2h5o7e8.jpg
    http://i64.tinypic.com/w19ymq.jpg
    This may sound crazy, but it could be spilled oil from filling the crankcase.

The first thing you need to do is clean it up. KBS Coatings has a great grease remover that is super for stuff like that. But you should use a pressure washer to really go a good job

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum!!!!

As @Polaraco said, clean her up good and see if it comes back. That should help diagnose where it is coming from if the leak continues.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

to the forum ... @Jeffro2912

And as that old fella says, @Polaraco .... I 2nd it.

Always clean the equipment if ya can to see actually where the leak is coming from and What is actually leaking.
    Your running with no mechanical issues, just a leak, so there is time to find out what you'll actually have to do and the cost.

Oh .... and if you happen to be near the area, I would drop by the inspection mechanic you paid and show him what he missed.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I'm going to look into that KBS grease remover and try to knock that out this weekend. Are there any particular areas, other than the alternator, fuse box, and batteries, that I should prevent from getting wet?

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!!!

As @Polaraco said, clean her up good and see if it comes back. That should help diagnose where it is coming from if the leak continues.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    to the forum ... @Jeffro2912

And as that old fella says, @Polaraco .... I 2nd it.

Always clean the equipment if ya can to see actually where the leak is coming from and What is actually leaking.
    Your running with no mechanical issues, just a leak, so there is time to find out what you'll actually have to do and the cost.

Oh .... and if you happen to be near the area, I would drop by the inspection mechanic you paid and show him what he missed.
    Wow Thanks guys. I finaly said something the old crab agreed with

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Got it fixed! Well, mostly. Turns out the timing chain cover was leaking. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

Here's were the mostly comes in. Dealer says my ps pump is leaking. I confirmed there is a ps leak and wherever it's coming from is wetting the bottom of the ps pump and the top of the steering box. Still No puddling on ground.

im thinking maybe a leaking line, but I wanted to see if you gents had any better ideas?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I might be gettin as old as @Polaraco and my mind slips now and then.
    I was wondering if this was a recent purchase from a dealership, like having a mechanic check it out and the leak being covered by warrantee.
    Now if it was, and the dealership fixed the leak under warrantee, why not this ?

Or am I way off target one this one ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro2912 View Post
    Got it fixed! Well, mostly. Turns out the timing chain cover was leaking. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

Here's were the mostly comes in. Dealer says my ps pump is leaking. I confirmed there is a ps leak and wherever it's coming from is wetting the bottom of the ps pump and the top of the steering box. Still No puddling on ground.

im thinking maybe a leaking line, but I wanted to see if you gents had any better ideas?
    I was wondering if this was a recent purchase from a dealership, like having a mechanic check it out and the leak being covered by warrantee.
    Now if it was, and the dealership fixed the leak under warrantee, why not this ?

DO NOT WAKE THE SLEEPING BEAR WHEN HIBERNATING

I agree. If this was a dealer purchase, this stuff should have been taken care of and addressed when they did the cover. They have to take the pump off to fix the cover! I think. . . . Even so, they were there. . . . At least call you. %*^%*&^(&^*^%#^)(*)_)(+__)(^& I hate that BS.

It could be something as minor as the return hose or the hose from the reservoir. Given how that was treated, maybe you should clean it up real good and look for yourself. I don't know how the 4th gens are plumbed, but 5.9 third gens have a T that is notorious for weeping.

Did you ever do a car fax on this thing? Something is bothering me about all these leaks. Maybe it was crashed? Kind of early at 71K for all this

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

It was a dealer purchase, but not Dodge. The powertrain warranty is still in, but it doesn't cover the PS pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast