Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil/Power Steering Leak?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Oil/Power Steering Leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    DO NOT WAKE THE SLEEPING BEAR WHEN HIBERNATING

I agree. If this was a dealer purchase, this stuff should have been taken care of and addressed when they did the cover. They have to take the pump off to fix the cover! I think. . . . Even so, they were there. . . . At least call you. %*^%*&^(&^*^%#^)(*)_)(+__)(^& I hate that BS.

It could be something as minor as the return hose or the hose from the reservoir. Given how that was treated, maybe you should clean it up real good and look for yourself. I don't know how the 4th gens are plumbed, but 5.9 third gens have a T that is notorious for weeping.

Did you ever do a car fax on this thing? Something is bothering me about all these leaks. Maybe it was crashed? Kind of early at 71K for all this
    They actually did call before they started the timing cover, even so they were asking $660 for the PS pump replacement, which I'm not certain is defective.

I ran a carfax and it came back clean. I think I'm just the bad luck fairy, as when I bought an 07 4Runner 3 years back, the rear pinion bearing sheared and fragged the third member...At least this truck has had most everything under warranty!

2. Top Of Page | #12
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

You need to read the warrantee. Look at coverage and time frame. If they get out of this, their carpetbaggers. Every "CHEAP" warrantee I've seen was 12 months 12k or 6 months or 6k. If the leak was covered, then even if it needs a new pump, this should be covered.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    You need to read the warrantee. Look at coverage and time frame. If they get out of this, their carpetbaggers. Every "CHEAP" warrantee I've seen was 12 months 12k or 6 months or 6k. If the leak was covered, then even if it needs a new pump, this should be covered.
    The dealership itself didn't provide a warranty, just the Ram powertrain warranty.

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

How long ago did you purchase the truck? Never heard of a dealer that didn't provide at least 3 months warranty on everything.

Thomas-2012 Saddle Brown Pearl CCSB

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Top Of Page | #15
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I think I know the type. Got only one of them here, but there usually one most areas most the time.

Best start at the beginning. Clean it good and see where the actual leak is.
    Now were back to a fitting, a hose or a pump. Gotta see what is actually involved. Then move forward. If ya really lucky, a loose fittin.
    And I don't know why, but can I ask, what color the fluid is ? From inside the pump.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

That's the plan; going to clean it with some simple green this weekend.

The fluid inside the reservoir is a brownish red.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    This may sound crazy, but it could be spilled oil from filling the crankcase.

The first thing you need to do is clean it up. KBS Coatings has a great grease remover that is super for stuff like that. But you should use a pressure washer to really go a good job
    @Polaraco I know this is an old thread.

For the degreaser are you referencing KBS Clean?

I have a PS leak and need to clean it up.

67500 miles.

2015 / RAM / 2500 CTD-68RFE-4wd / 3.42 / stock tire size / Silver / Bighorn

11. Likes Corkey liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12