Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match painting over chrome

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Match painting over chrome

Has anyone had any luck match painting or powder coating their chrome bumpers, grille, etc?? I've sprayed bed liner over scuffed chrome bumpers in the past which held up great but wanting to color match my '13 2500.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Match painting over chrome

In for results because I want to do mine

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

A friend of mine just had his done but had the chrome stripped first and them painted looks good. I am about to have mine painted but they are already black so no chrome to worry about.

2014 RAM 2500 TRADESMAN "SMOKED A BIT TURBO LIT AND THAT WAS IT"

4. Likes aglisson2013 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I didn't think paint would hold on chrome very long.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It won't hold on unprepped chrome. Just wondering what others did to to scuff or strip the chrome

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aglisson2013 View Post
    It won't hold on unprepped chrome. Just wondering what others did to to scuff or strip the chrome
    I think a flap disk on a grinder to start. If there are deep scratches you would have to correct that. Then a self etching primer. Sandable if you can find that combo. Sand/wet sand. Paint/clear until happy

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

8. Likes aglisson2013 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I did some chrome wheels with a scuff pad and 220 grit paper, self etching primer and paint. Lasted about a year, but started chipping off. Currently I am stripping the paint off with a wire wheel on my grinder, flap disks and other assorted sanding and grinding tools. Plan is to sand with 80 grit, spray epoxy primer and then paint. Still getting all the old paint off. Hope to squirt some paint in the next week

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

Check this out. Dude does a good job showing all his steps

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB
    2016 Ram 2500 CCSB *SOLD*

12. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I bought a color-matched one off Amazon for about 400 bucks and sold my chrome one for 150.

MBI auto is the one who sold it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. Likes InlineSix.7 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hampton64 View Post
    I bought a color-matched one off Amazon for about 400 bucks and sold my chrome one for 150.

MBI auto is the one who sold it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...27af7c4529.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Looks good- I only found black. You have a part number?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast