Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.30 gear swap

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 4.30 gear swap

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    Curious how you got the 10,600 for the weight of your truck
    At an official weight scale. I carry 100 gals of diesel fuel plus all my rig supplies. And I have Road Armor front and rear bumpers. RAM BOX for the bed full of items. Idk other than that.....

Raceme Ultra w/ Warp Tuning and 5" TBE W/ 7" Tip
    FASS 150 gph AFE Stage 2 CAI
    Pusher 3.5" Blade Runner and Intercooler Kit
    Stage 2 GDS 73/14 Turbo with a BD Manifold
    Flo Pro EGR Delete ARP 425 studs
    6" BDS 4 Link Long Arm Suspension
    37x13.50R20 w/ 20x10 Fuel Striker Rims

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: 4.30 gear swap

4.10 Gears and 37 inch tires gets you really close to the stock ratio. We run 4.10's and 37.s in the AEV but our 15 has 4.10 and 35 inch tires. Our big trucks that we built ran 4.56 with 37 and 38 inch Toyos and worked great. With 40 I would recommend 4.88 which is where we were going next but with a 38 or 40 inch tire you really limit the trucks ability to work as well as play IMHO. Gear ratios are always subjective do to HP and driving style. We have almost always used AAM gears since we have had issues with other sets from noise.

One thing you can do to help with the harmonics when running higher ratios is install the pinion dampener from a chevy but it requires a drive shaft modification. When we did the 72 inch long 5 inch diameter aluminum shaft in the mega cab we had to install it because the shaft was acting like a tuning fork. The dampener resolved the noise. Just some information based off experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12