Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mounting switches for lights

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Mounting switches for lights

So I think the next little project I'm doing for my pickup is mounting work lights on it and wiring them into their own circuit with their own on/off switch some where in the cab. I'm not too sure how to go about wiring them up just yet, I really don't know much of anything about any of this. But to what I'd like to know for now I'd like to ask where can I find a small switch box (for 2-3 on/off switches) to mount in my cab? I've search ebay and a few leads on google and I can't really find anything that seems like it would be small enough. I know I've seen small boxes before in various places before so there has to be something out there, I think maybe it could be possible I'm just not using the right words in my web search or something, because I keep finding these big boxes that are like.. out door electrical looking boxes. That's definitely not what I want. I did think about just getting a switch and putting on my dash area some where but I'm not sure where I would put it that I would really like to have it; and if I get a box with 2-3 switches in it then I later on down the road if I get a light bar or something I can wire that into it's own circuit and turn that on and off separately too and use the same box. And if I got a small enough box I could mount it next to my gauges and it would obstruct my road vision or anything. Does any one have any clue about what I may want to try searching to find one? Any vendors on here sell any? Also; has anyone already done something like this? It would be neat to read about and see (pictures please) of what you did and how you did it. Like I touched on before I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to go about doing this just yet so any tips and tricks would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Mounting switches for lights

Searching is very hard no matter what site you go to. I have spent hours searching several site looking for something only to find out I was off by a letter or a slight portion of a phraze used on that site that is not used on others. Just have patience. I need to get to my laptop today and look for a site I've saved for switches. These are custom switches that, some mount to a bracket, some to the dash, custom wording or colors and such. Let me see if I can find it and get back.

Others here should have something they found, this is a very active bunch that likes to form fit their vehicles to needs.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

At least check this site out and see if it might have what you want.

http://www.otrattw.net

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

couple of pics of how I did mine. Hope it helps

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Also that panels is powered from a separate fuse block with power and ground so I could run power everything without using any factory wiring.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thank you!

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I've never seen a set up like what you have, it sure has given me some more ideas! Where did you get your switches and fuse block at?

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattynite View Post
    I've never seen a set up like what you have, it sure has given me some more ideas! Where did you get your switches and fuse block at?
    Fuse block I got at a marine/boat supply. Switches I got from radio shack along with relays.

9. Thanks BuellBlackbelt thanked for this post