Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 03 smarty jr issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

03 smarty jr issue

Hey guys this is my first post on the site. If I'm forgetting anything, sorry in advance!

I'm having a small issue with my 03. Here is a quick run down. I bought the truck about 2 months ago bone stock from the second owner. About 5 years ago me and a friend replaced the burnt up factory automatic with a G56 and a southbend clutch. As of now, all I have done to it is put an intake and straight pipe on it.

I bought a smarty jr from a friend out of state. He was telling me how much his smoked with it (not necessarily a key selling point to me, but I'll explain why that is relevant in a second)

So I received the smarty and plugged it in aaaaand it said programming 100% complete, unplug smarty. Now we will skip ahead after not noticing any added power, I went to sw3. Played with every setting on the programmer and still nothing much to notice. 6th gear, to the floor lugging it. To the floor taking off in 2nd. No matter what, zero smoke. Running 70-75 mph on my 140 mile commute to work (I make the drive once ever 2 weeks) I notice that I have used around twice the fuel. I don't understand where the fuel is going if I feel hardly any power increase but don't smoke hardly any?!

We checked out rail pressure on a scanner this evening and it was right on par (new pump within the last year) also, it recieved new oem injectors months ago. Oh and also, the ecu was flashed when the trans swap was done, so the truck does believe that it was a factory manual.

Has anyone had or saw this issue before? Thanks guys!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: 03 smarty jr issue

1st off to the forum @brtyfan. For the smarty issue, I'd suggest bring it back to stock and trying it again. Document each setting change you make to know how it effects the truck, if it's what you want or don't want. Also, I've read where it seems guys are changing the stettings so much and so fast it confussing them. One thing I have done in the past when the smarty settings are doing what I thought they would do, was call Smarty and ask, they were friendly and helpful, plus they have a resource website ( http://www.smartyresource.net/forum/ ) that has documented past problems of members and the solution, and will answer specific questions. There are many members here that should chime in soon that has knowledge on this, so hang tight.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Thanks BrianAtSmarty thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks a bunch @AnOldBiker
    I might go sign up over there and repost. I talked to Bob, why sent me to Dylan but I was at work with very limited time. I'm thinking it almost has to be an issue with my ecu but I'd like to hear what others have to say. Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion, it's much appreciated buddy!

5. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

"The grass is greener where you water it"

7. Thanks BrianAtSmarty thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

good morning! The latest Smarty software is designed to be efficient and smoke free. If one uses the smoke or lack of smoke to determine that you are making power or not, that is not a good indicator. This download page has the newest software which is what you want: http://smartyresource.com/disclaimer.aspx

If you were to load the Jr onto the truck, set all defaults on the optional parameters you would have over 100 hp gain. Surely enough to feel in the seat of the pants. Also one would expect a mpg increase, assuming you are not using all the new found power.

Are you able to read DTC codes or experiment with changing tire height? How about adjusting PoD?

I also responded to you at SmartyResource forum where I have posed some questions.

Thank you