Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  24
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Driveline Shudder

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: Driveline Shudder

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    3.73s and 35s here but mine is a 2012...no shutter but due to different suspension, might make a difference but I doubt it...I don't think you guys with coils experience axle wrap as leaf sprung suspensions do...I'm probably thinking too much into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The coils definitely help with the axle wrap. But I doubt this is tied into the suspension. I really believe it's a gearing thing. And quite honestly I think it's a harmonic resonance issue. I had my rear end opened up for a fluid change (god that just sounds like a bad day 😂😂😂 anywho) and I saw zero signs of abnormal wear

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    The coils definitely help with the axle wrap. But I doubt this is tied into the suspension. I really believe it's a gearing thing. And quite honestly I think it's a harmonic resonance issue. I had my rear end opened up for a fluid change (god that just sounds like a bad day anywho) and I saw zero signs of abnormal wear

Good deal! Glad everything looked good! I flushed my differentials 10k miles ago and all of mine looked great as well! Barely any residue on the magnet!

4. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    Good deal! Glad everything looked good! I flushed my differentials 10k miles ago and all of mine looked great as well! Barely any residue on the magnet!

Same. Thru some slightly heavier Delo in it and closed her up. Won't be breaking the rear diff open again for a long time. Gonna flush the front one in probably 10-15k and put the same Delo in it and then basically never touch the diffs again unless I regear

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

5. Likes theaaronbush liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #34
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Did you check your u-joints on the drive line?

7. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by moore81 View Post
    Did you check your u-joints on the drive line?

I have, everything is good there. This has been going on since the truck got 35s on it 32,000 miles ago. Took it into the dealer initially but they said they couldn't reproduce the problem (typical FCA response). I just looked at the service advisor like he was stupid and left. Math suggests that its the rear gear ratio, that with 35s I really need 3.73s on the truck. However, I've contemplated mounting my GoPro under the truck and videoing the driveline at highway speeds just to see if something jumps out at me.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

8. Likes theaaronbush, Yamaha242LS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

@RamIt any luck locating the problem?
    I was finally able to get out on the highway over the weekend and had nothing like you describe at or above 60 mph.

10. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    @RamIt any luck locating the problem?
    I was finally able to get out on the highway over the weekend and had nothing like you describe at or above 60 mph.
    Unfortunately no. I've been tied up with school. And I'm very hesitant to take the truck to the dealership since the delete. Plus I don't particularly trust the service department techs.

My best guess still leans on gearing. Since you have 3.73s and no issues, I'd bet that's the reason. Plus doing the math on the gearing says the same thing.

However, according to CF, these trucks are notorious for shudder at 65-70 MPH. There's tons of threads about it. I may need to just suck it up and leave it at the dealer for a few days.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

11. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

On a side note. The unbalanced front ride height issue that plagues these trucks has been recognized by FCA and their solution is an entire front axle replacement.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

12. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    On a side note. The unbalanced front ride height issue that plagues these trucks has been recognized by FCA and their solution is an entire front axle replacement.

I did have problems with shudder prior to installing my lift and replacing the wheels and tires.

Do you have abnormal outer tire wear on the passenger front tire?

I noticed the shudder went away as soon as I had the tires rotated and then reappeared after about 5k miles after rotation. Took it for an alignment and it seemed to help, but by then the tires were too worn on the outside edge and the tire shop refused to rotate the 2 passenger side tires and that's when I decided it was a good time for the lift and new shoes. I only have a little over 1k miles on the new tires, I'm hopeful I won't run into the same issue, but only time will tell.

As for taking it in to the dealer, what's the worst they can say? We're not going to cover it? Then you're back to where you are now anyway. deleting the emissions has nothing to do with the shudder, however, didn't you install a Carli system? Did you have an alignment done afterward?

Good luck!

13. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    I did have problems with shudder prior to installing my lift and replacing the wheels and tires.

Do you have abnormal outer tire wear on the passenger front tire?

I noticed the shudder went away as soon as I had the tires rotated and then reappeared after about 5k miles after rotation. Took it for an alignment and it seemed to help, but by then the tires were too worn on the outside edge and the tire shop refused to rotate the 2 passenger side tires and that's when I decided it was a good time for the lift and new shoes. I only have a little over 1k miles on the new tires, I'm hopeful I won't run into the same issue, but only time will tell.

As for taking it in to the dealer, what's the worst they can say? We're not going to cover it? Then you're back to where you are now anyway. deleting the emissions has nothing to do with the shudder, however, didn't you install a Carli system? Did you have an alignment done afterward?

Good luck!
    My passenger front Toyo MT wore badly. It's 3/4 bald, but according to Carli, this has been attributed to the ride height cant of the truck placing more weight on that corner. I'll buy that for a dollar.
    The shudder was worse with my Fuels and MTs until I had the wheels bored and had hubcentric rings made for them. Something I cannot do with my new Methods.

And true, I can take it in because the problem is not directly attributed to the Carli lift. Except the last time I had this looked at (20K ago), the dealer "couldn't reproduce the problem" and then a week later my right rear wheel fell off (all 8 lug studs were sheared at the hub); dealer ate the $1500 in damage it caused and I haven't been back to a dealership since.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast