Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  24
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Driveline Shudder

1. Top Of Page | #41

User Info Menu

Re: Driveline Shudder

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    My passenger front Toyo MT wore badly. It's 3/4 bald, but according to Carli, this has been attributed to the ride height cant of the truck placing more weight on that corner. I'll buy that for a dollar.
    The shudder was worse with my Fuels and MTs until I had the wheels bored and had hubcentric rings made for them. Something I cannot do with my new Methods.

And true, I can take it in because the problem is not directly attributed to the Carli lift. Except the last time I had this looked at (20K ago), the dealer "couldn't reproduce the problem" and then a week later my right rear wheel fell off (all 8 lug studs were sheared at the hub); dealer ate the $1500 in damage it caused and I haven't been back to a dealership since.
    It's the worn tire causing the shudder then... same thing I had with my Michelin's before... the outer 1/4 of the tire was bald as well.
    I read somewhere about the alignment on these trucks having to be just right or it will cause the tire to wear wrong and then you get the shudder.

Discount tried to tell me it was because I had too much air in the tires, I said then why aren't the tires on the drivers side having this issue? Then he tried to tell me it was because I hadn't rotated the tires at the proper intervals... I called BS... I'll be taking these Ridge Grapplers in ever 3k for rotation and may even add a alignment to my regularly scheduled maintenance. the tires are too expensive to go through in 1 year

As for that dealer, sounds like you need to find a new one. Hope no one was hurt when the wheel came off... did they pay for a new pair of britches too?

2. Thanks moore81 thanked for this post
    Likes moore81 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    It's the worn tire causing the shudder then... same thing I had with my Michelin's before... the outer 1/4 of the tire was bald as well.
    I read somewhere about the alignment on these trucks having to be just right or it will cause the tire to wear wrong and then you get the shudder.

Discount tried to tell me it was because I had too much air in the tires, I said then why aren't the tires on the drivers side having this issue? Then he tried to tell me it was because I hadn't rotated the tires at the proper intervals... I called BS... I'll be taking these Ridge Grapplers in ever 3k for rotation and may even add a alignment to my regularly scheduled maintenance. the tires are too expensive to go through in 1 year

As for that dealer, sounds like you need to find a new one. Hope no one was hurt when the wheel came off... did they pay for a new pair of britches too?
    I would be inclined to agree with that, except I have brand new wheels and tires on the truck with less than 1500 miles on them and the shudder is still there. As I previously mentioned, there is a known issue with the front end of these trucks that causes a variety of issues and the resolution is a front axle replacement. Warranty under FCA.

I have moved to the other side of the Phoenix valley, so I no longer go to that dealer. The dealer by my house has been recommended by a friend (same place we got the wife's new car from too) and they seem to be good people. My problem is mostly time constraints; I can't be without a vehicle because of my schooling and it's not practical for me to take the wife's car while the truck is in the shop. Fortunately, I don't drive far as is, and I set my cruise for 65 on the highway so I rarely encounter the shudder. As time allows for it, I'll leave it at the dealer for a period of time and see what they come back with. But nobody got hurt, I got very lucky. I felt the rear end get loose on the highway so I pulled over. The wheel came off as I started accelerating down the shoulder. Needless to say it was a VERY lucky situation. Had I not pulled over when I did, that wheel would've come off at 70 in the middle of a crowded highway during morning rush hour.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Top Of Page | #43

User Info Menu

I will add just a little bit of information on the shudder so take it for what it's worth. My 2015 has a shudder under a load in the higher gears and it took me a little while to identify the partial issue. I put 4.10 gears in mine and it actually got worse with the trailer on it. I run 35 inch Toyo MT's on one set and the truck creates enough torque being tuned that it is rotating the lugs on the tire and causing them wrap then release. found it on the dyno. That was one issue.....the other issue is that the trailing arm bushings also flex under the load when contributes even more. Add those to the trans logic being less than perfect and all 3 contribute to an overall shudder and vibration. Some trucks may be worse than others depending on load and driving style. I have another set of 35 nitto trail grapplers on factory wheels and it makes it a little worse because of the contact patch on the lugs. My truck only has 4200 miles on it and it's getting a Co-Pilot and valve body to see if it will help. Should have that done this week. Then back to the dyno to see if it helps.

5. Likes RamIt, Power247 liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345