Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Problem with truck in Yellowstone please help!

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Problem with truck in Yellowstone please help!

Hey guys,

I am on vacation with my family in Yellowstone and I have a problem. I have an 02 5.9 cummins. It's built and pushing some good horsepower. I have built the transmission with billet input shaft, transgo hd3 shift kit, high energy forward and reverse bands, 5.0 apply lever, new wedges, sonnax 2nd gear super hold servo kit, red alto clutches with two extra clutches in the overdrive pack, new forward drum and a triple disk torque converter. I run a quadzilla adrenaline tuner.

Issue is when towing I seem to be reving too high in drive. I am 65 mph and spinning 2700 rpm where before at the first 100 miles of the trip spinning 2200 rpm. It also seems to run out of power now going up a hill and is hitting rev limiter. When in od it locks up but on hard pull I get to 1/2 throttle and from there to wot there is no change in rpm or speed and I billow black smoke like locomotive! This is even downhill and it does it without camper hooked up. It has full power through the powerband in all other gears it seems.

I have spent $1000 at dealerships from Michigan to Yellowstone and no cure for the problem of no power. It seems low on power even from a stop but will get going ok just labors. One dealership changed governor solenoid and no change except I got 1st gear back without having to go to neutral first.

This truck has never done this before and usually pulls camper with ease. Fuel pressure is at 15-20 psi no matter how hard I throttle. Boost is good and will go to 40 psi if I let it. Egt's are running high too 1200-1400 when towing in od and drop to 1000 if I shift to drive but then I am reving the heck out of engine. I have to drive through Yellowstone on Sunday and there are some hills I don't know that I will make it up. I am out of money and becoming a frustrated ***hole really fast.

I am going to change fuel and air filter tomorrow but don't have much hope in that. I am wondering about tps or apps?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Problem with truck in Yellowstone please help!

You may have a bad torque converter

Is this doing it when it's out of OD?

What does the fluid smell like?

The only oyjrt yjomg I can thionk of is the intermediate clutches are slipping

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes KimWar191 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Out of overdrive it is just reving really high. Temps are 130 to 140. Fluid looks and smells normal. A little bit of black material but with new bands I am not sure if that is normal?

And if it's the tc why then once od lockup up occurs and I accelerate past 1/2 throttle and there is no change in speed or rpm but a ton of black smoke? You would think if tc is slipping the rpms would go up.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

where are toy seeing this black stuff?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Seen it on the magnet and bottom of pan.

I think I figured out the problem today. It is pretty strong through od lockup and that happens at 47 mph. Once it locks up it seems it don't release because after lock up if I release the pedal and go back to it there is nothing there and it just billows smoke. I down shift it revs too high like lockup is not engaged so I am leaning very heavily toward a tcc lockup solenoid.

What are your thoughts on that?

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Or lockup clutches.

Sent from my couch.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It was a bad MAP sensor that was affecting shift points as well as all the other symptoms.

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog86 View Post
    It was a bad MAP sensor that was affecting shift points as well as all the other symptoms.

Glad you got it. I didn't know a MAP did that. I got thrown off the scent when you described the engine as being built. The way you describes it, we all thought trans. Sorry bout that. At least it wasn't serious

11. Likes dodgedieselskog liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog86 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Glad you got it. I didn't know a MAP did that. I got thrown off the scent when you described the engine as being built. The way you describes it, we all thought trans. Sorry bout that. At least it wasn't serious
    Glad you got this figured out. I really learned something with this one. Thanks for posting your results. I never would have expected the MAP sensor to have that type of affect on the trans. How did you figure it out??

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

13. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well I figured it out by the codes that it was giving me which one of them was P0237 and I also lost my turbo. I could build no boost at all on my gauge on tuner and truck was completely gutless. It was at this point I was pretty sure it was the MAP sensor.

14. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post