Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Drain DEF??

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Drain DEF??

I am curious what you all do with the DEF in your tank when you delete? Do you just let it sit? Drain it? Does the "Empty" gauge drive you nuts? I still have 1 more 2.5gal jug in my garage and thought about filling it up.. no real reason other than my OCD and don't like the gauge on empty.. but not sure I want it just sitting in the tank for years to come.. Curious what you all have done?

nibs

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Drain DEF??

I believe it's better to drain and rinse. It will be no good and I'm pretty sure it crystallizes after a while. I could be wrong on that though. It does have a shelf life though so I wouldn't want it just sitting in the tank personally

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

3. Likes nibs75, AnOldBiker liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Do not fill it up! Guage will read empty regardless of def level.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

5. Likes nibs75 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Do not fill it up! Guage will read empty regardless of def level.
    HAHA! Good point! I didn't even think of that.. LOL.. It's sitting at about a 1/4 tank now. This is my first truck that used DEF. My 08 never gave me any grief, and this one has had multiple issues with DEF system.. cannot wait to be rid of this garbage.

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I don't use it but as mentioned above, it will evaporate and the urea will crystalize and I believe it is then corrosive. The tank is plastic and shouldn't be of concern, until you do something with it. For your safety, it's best to drain and flush clean a few times. If i recollect right, it's about 70% water and 30% urea. So it wouldn't be much when evaporated, but enough of commerical grade material laying there.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes nibs75 liked this post