Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injector test results

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Injector test results

@AccurateDiesel

So my work had sent out a customers 06 ram injectors last week and we got the results all 6 failed but the truck appeared to run decent was wondering if someone could explain the results to me so I can understand what the numbers mean. Please and thanks in advance

Probably working on something

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Injector test results

Is the customers truck a high miler?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Is the customers truck a high miler?
    I think something like 145000 or something

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Of the three injectors shown in the picture, all fail on "VL" which is a Full Load test. This would possibly explain why it may have appeared to idle OK - it would be a disaster under load. Look closely at number 4 injector. The actual delivery is approximately HALF of what it should be under full load!

Number 5 also fails on full load but it is close.

Number 6 has insanely high return flow - max spec is approx 75cc, actual is 436.39 - it is a wonder the truck starts without ether.

I'm not sure what 1 though 3 look like, but if 4 through 6 are any example, it is definitely due for a set of injectors!

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Injector test results

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Hi,
    Of the three injectors shown in the picture, all fail on "VL" which is a Full Load test. This would possibly explain why it may have appeared to idle OK - it would be a disaster under load. Look closely at number 4 injector. The actual delivery is approximately HALF of what it should be under full load!

Number 5 also fails on full load but it is close.

Number 6 has insanely high return flow - max spec is approx 75cc, actual is 436.39 - it is a wonder the truck starts without ether.

I'm not sure what 1 though 3 look like, but if 4 through 6 are any example, it is definitely due for a set of injectors!
    1 thru 3 are terrible you don't want to read the flow numbers on those
    So the different measurements ( the letters where the VL is) what do all those stand for I'm just trying to understand and learn more about them to improve my diagnostic capabilities of the common rail system

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The testing was done on Bosch test equipment - which is what you want. That is roughly a 1/4 million dollar test stand.

Here are the test point definitions:
    VL - Full Load
    TL/EM - Part load / Emissions measurement
    LL - Light load/Idle
    VE - Pilot Injection
    VE2 - 2nd Pilot Injection
    EM2 - 2nd Emissions measurement
    LL2 - 2nd Light load / Idle

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ok so the leak test that's done at idle and wide open ? Thanks

05 Ram 5.9 Cummins Sundown Audio Old School PPI

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Leakage is measured at two different pressure levels without electrically operating the injector, then again while the injector is being operated during the VL test.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Leakage is measured at two different pressure levels without electrically operating the injector, then again while the injector is being operated during the VL test.
    Leakage as in return flow? I ask because when I first got my truck before I put the bandaid to it and around the time I started posting here on IGOTACUMMINS I was researching and was under the impression that if an injector had a leak at the nozzle when shutoff the fuel pressure would bleed into cyl and when started again the hydraulic effect is what was breaking Pistons is this theory correct? Like I said just trying to understand a little more because I'm now asked to come explain any questions a customer may have in regards to any diesel work preformed at our shop 20+ a month and also what causes the piston rings to fail

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I should have stated that return flow was checked under those three conditions. Leakage from the nozzle is also checked under two different pressures.

I very highly doubt that rings are bring broken by the scenerio you mentioned. Rail pressure bleeds off very quickly after shutdown - there would not be sufficient quantity of pressurized fuel remaining to fill the cylinder to the point of hydro-locking. If an injector were damaged / defective to that point, the truck would run so horribly with so much smoke that it would be essentially un-driveable.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast