Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning and the AISIN

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Tuning and the AISIN

I figured I would post to see if anyone had any insight on how the new Aisins are handling tuning? I am about to pull the trigger on a new 3500 DRW Aisin. I definitely want to tune it at some point in time, it is going to be a flat out tow rig. After experiencing a Ray tuned 68RFE on my '12, I am really debating the Aisin all together since I have future plans to tune my new rig. Anybody towing on a raceme/warp truck with the Aisin? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Did someone say Moderator? RATLIN'HP's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Tuning and the AISIN

If your planning on tuning, a tuned 68 is way better than a stock Aisin. And no one is tuning Aisin as I'm sure you know.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've asked Franz what the plans were for the Aisin. He said it had been discussed to try to crack the code of the Aisin controller and try tuning them...but no action had been taken.

I think whoever starts tuning the Aisin will become filthy rich, because they're not just in the 3500-5500 Rams. They're mated to the 5.0 Cummins in the Titan as well.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Likes dieseljeeper liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to go with the so called more robust transmission option this go around which is why I am considering it. I don't want a hot rod or big power. I was planning on eventually dropping a mild tow tune on mainly for engine longevity and hoping for the best. I was pretty pleased on the test drive, but wanted opinions on how they are handling being hooked to a tuned Cummins.

7. Thanks Kjmajek thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

No personal experience here, but I've read from at least 2 different people that went to Aisin after running a tuned 68, and both were very disappointed.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    No personal experience here, but I've read from at least 2 different people that went to Aisin after running a tuned 68, and both were very disappointed.
    Let me say this, I have driven both. A 68 RFE and the Aisin I drive daily. The Aisin is my new truck the 68 RFE was my truck but I'm the one who tuned it and has set it up. I have 37,000 miles on the Aisin since tuned and drive it on 150 hp, 29+ timing, 1900 fuEl psi, and quick spool. I have an SB air intake, afe blade runner, and 5" exhaust from turbo back. I have 425 head studs too. I drive the truck how I want, just as I would a stock truck. I don't do burnouts or 4x4 boost launches. I value my tires too much and I'm not a Lil kid. With that being said, it kicks *** and takes names. The Aisin is WAY stronger than a tuned 68 RFE and anyone who says they aren't doesn't know much about trsnsmissions. Sure Ray is a badass at tuning and I don't agree that his tuning makes the 68 RFE reliable. The 68 RFE is quicker but not a strong. My Aisin defuels upon shifts which automatically helps save the torque from damaging the transmission. That slows it down but it is sooooo smooth. It's like the transmission learned to handle the power and runs flawlessly. Ram dealership says my fluid is perfect. I tow with it on 60 hp with all other settingside at default and mild spool. I love how my truck performs and I bet that my transmission lasts longer than anyone's tuned 68 RFE. I drive 7,000 miles a month in the oil fielderly. Passing, stop and go, and have lots of opportunities to get up to speed quick, and pass when needed. Never have I seen the temp get over 170 degrees nor have I felt any slip. Just sayin........

10. Thanks RATLIN'HP, Lunkhead thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fulldrawassassin View Post
    Let me say this, I have driven both. A 68 RFE and the Aisin I drive daily. The Aisin is my new truck the 68 RFE was my truck but I'm the one who tuned it and has set it up. I have 37,000 miles on the Aisin since tuned and drive it on 150 hp, 29+ timing, 1900 fuEl psi, and quick spool. I have an SB air intake, afe blade runner, and 5" exhaust from turbo back. I have 425 head studs too. I drive the truck how I want, just as I would a stock truck. I don't do burnouts or 4x4 boost launches. I value my tires too much and I'm not a Lil kid. With that being said, it kicks *** and takes names. The Aisin is WAY stronger than a tuned 68 RFE and anyone who says they aren't doesn't know much about trsnsmissions. Sure Ray is a badass at tuning and I don't agree that his tuning makes the 68 RFE reliable. The 68 RFE is quicker but not a strong. My Aisin defuels upon shifts which automatically helps save the torque from damaging the transmission. That slows it down but it is sooooo smooth. It's like the transmission learned to handle the power and runs flawlessly. Ram dealership says my fluid is perfect. I tow with it on 60 hp with all other settingside at default and mild spool. I love how my truck performs and I bet that my transmission lasts longer than anyone's tuned 68 RFE. I drive 7,000 miles a month in the oil fielderly. Passing, stop and go, and have lots of opportunities to get up to speed quick, and pass when needed. Never have I seen the temp get over 170 degrees nor have I felt any slip. Just sayin........
    If we could only tune the Aisin...that would be the ticket!

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

12. Thanks Steinbrenner thanked for this post
    Likes Steinbrenner liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Sorry for any typos, this is from my smart phone doing silly Auto corrects.

But if someone can tune the Aisin like the 68 RFE, look out! It would truly be awesome.....

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fulldrawassassin View Post
    Awesome! Thank you for the reply. I don't agree with everything you said, but you're the first I've ever read from that has that opinion after having both, and I value that.

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I just don't agree with what you said about Rays tuning not making the 68 more reliable. I mean combining ramped up line pressures with shift points and firmness, don't make it more reliable??

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, huskee05 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast