Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: power steering and hydroboost fluid cooler...

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

power steering and hydroboost fluid cooler...

After converting to HB on Ol' Patches I had noticed that the fluid has a heck of a lot hotter then it used to be when it was just running through the PS box.

So I decided I wanted to put some sort of fluid cooler on it. Lots of after market products available, but Being the cheap bugger I am I went to the wrecker and crawled around all kinds of vehicle until I found a cooler on a early 2000-ish Dodge mini van I thought might work...$15! The cooler is for the Crack and Peanut steering system, and is mounted in the sub frame under the front floor boards of the mini van.

I have had this for a couple months and from time to time I would try and find a place to mount it. Well I finally came up with a spot I was happy with, so I got it installed the other day.

I first had to drill out the lower mounting point....used my step drill to take it out to about 5/8 I guess?

Then I removed the upper bolt for the PS/Vacuum pump unit, and installed the cooler there.

Then plumbed it up. I did find that it was easier to install the hoses with the cooler removed. I put on about 12" pieces of 3/8" PS hose, and then re-installed the cooler.

2. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: power steering and hydroboost fluid cooler...

Obviously you will have to bleed/prime the PS system again. I jacked up the front end and turn the wheels back and forth with the engine off...SLOWLY...for about 10 cycles (LH to RH and back).

Only issue I had was I changed the orientation of the Hydroboost fluid flow. It used to be the side line on the "T" connection and would come in on the straight line from teh PS box...so I guess the fluid flow was reduced?

Anyway since I had to re-plumb everything on the return line circuit it was easier to have the fluid flow straight through and have the PS box coming in from the side. What this did was lower my brake pedal and cause my brake lights to stay on.

Now when I shut the motor off, and loose Hyd pressure, the brake pedal actually rises. I just re-adjusted the brake light switch and all is well.

I just got back from a 24 hours run...1000+ miles and the cooler works great....even better then I had hoped to be honest. The lines are now only warm, hot screaming hot to the touch.

4. Likes Power247, mackman08 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

And? Does it work?

Nice job

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    And? Does it work?

Nice job
    Yup everything is nice a cool now. Before the lines from the HB would be screaming hot....now they are just warm.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
    Yup everything is nice a cool now. Before the lines from the HB would be screaming hot....now they are just warm.
    LOL I didn't realize this was your thread, but it looked like your work.

I was just thinking of you yesterday too.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC