Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Bad fuel filter?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Bad fuel filter?

So on my 03 today I fired her leavijg a rodeo and at idle it was "loping" with a half tank of fuel. An older guy said its my fuel filter. I havnt touched the fuel filter since 108, 000 and im st 124, 623 now, could that be the problem or is a slight lope while cold common? It has an 80 HP smarty tune with timing turned up to 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Bad fuel filter?

You got about 16k on the filter. You didn't say if this is a stock filter or aftermarket one. Stock filters are recommended to change out every 15k. I have aftermarket Donaldson water separator / final filters and they recommend 20k 'at maximum', but change out every 15k. You also didn't say if your running a stock lift pump or aftermarket pump. You didn't say if your using #2 or #1 diesel and the local temp for your area with over night temps. You also didn't mention lift pump outlet pressure. Are you using good clean fuel from a dependaable station ? There are many things to consider.

I recommend changing the filter, finding out what your fuel pressure is when starting, warming and when at normal temps. This can help make diagnosing easier.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    You got about 16k on the filter. You didn't say if this is a stock filter or aftermarket one. Stock filters are recommended to change out every 15k. I have aftermarket Donaldson water separator / final filters and they recommend 20k 'at maximum', but change out every 15k. You also didn't say if your running a stock lift pump or aftermarket pump. You didn't say if your using #2 or #1 diesel and the local temp for your area with over night temps. You also didn't mention lift pump outlet pressure. Are you using good clean fuel from a dependaable station ? There are many things to consider.

I recommend changing the filter, finding out what your fuel pressure is when starting, warming and when at normal temps. This can help make diagnosing easier.
    Pump diesle, stock lift pump, and oem fuel filter

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Cheap check, change the filter at minimum.
    It'll tell you alot.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Cheap check, change the filter at minimum.
    It'll tell you alot.
    Plan on picking one up today, thanks for the info sir!

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

When you get a chance order 2 from Geno's garage! Keep one in your rig at all times.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post