Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Fuel/electrical 2004 dodge Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exclamation Fuel/electrical 2004 dodge Cummins

Ok here goes. Original problem: wouldn't start unless Ethered-ran great. Injector problem-replaced injectors. Started right up but made white smoke with loss of power and rough running. White smoke not the sweet smelling head gasket blown type. Leak down test shows no fuel vapors in the coolant. Oil stays normal. The oil cap dosent dance on the valve cover.
    Now it won't start at all. Replaced the lift pump 2 days ago still no start. Cracked the high pressure line off the injection pump absolutely no fuel coming out of the injection pump. So is this a bad injection pump or is this an electrical problem?? There is juice going to the pump but seems weak. I have not put a meter on it not sure how to do that with a plug there. My actron is throwing a dozen codes. 1 of the codes is p0248 which is the fan clutch can this some how be related to the Inj. Pump? Or should I just replace the pump?? I love my dodge but I'm getting really frustrated with this. Starting think it's s piece of 💩. HELP PLEASE!
    This is an auto tranny 5 port injectors. 24 valve. 165,000 mi
    replaced fuel filter with lift pump.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel/electrical 2004 dodge Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by jbloodus View Post
    Ok here goes. Original problem: wouldn't start unless Ethered-ran great. Injector problem-replaced injectors. Started right up but made white smoke with loss of power and rough running. White smoke not the sweet smelling head gasket blown type. Leak down test shows no fuel vapors in the coolant. Oil stays normal. The oil cap dosent dance on the valve cover.
    Now it won't start at all. Replaced the lift pump 2 days ago still no start. Cracked the high pressure line off the injection pump absolutely no fuel coming out of the injection pump. So is this a bad injection pump or is this an electrical problem?? There is juice going to the pump but seems weak. I have not put a meter on it not sure how to do that with a plug there. My actron is throwing a dozen codes. 1 of the codes is p0248 which is the fan clutch can this some how be related to the Inj. Pump? Or should I just replace the pump?? I love my dodge but I'm getting really frustrated with this. Starting think it's s piece of . HELP PLEASE!
    This is an auto tranny 5 port injectors. 24 valve. 165,000 mi
    replaced fuel filter with lift pump.
    @AccurateDiesel

When you did these, did you put in new injectors or remans? Did you replace the cross over tubes? Are you sure the tubes are installed properly? Did you get any dirt into the tubes?

By the way, you have to put the right injectors in the truck. If you have an 03 to early 04, they are different than the late 04's. Many people don't know that, including these bargan injector people.

Sounds like you may have a leak in the head.

Accurate Diesel is a sponsor/vendor here. The man is the best of the best. I invited him to join in. He has the cross over tubes in stock. I'll let Tim tell you why you should replace them.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel/electrical 2004 dodge Cummins

Hi!

If there is NO fuel coming out of the CP3, job one is to solve that issue - sounds like there are other issues we may have to deal with after that.

First - verify that there is good solid flow of clean fuel under pressure TO the CP3 (injection pump).

Just unplug the connector on the CP3 for this test - unplugged is maximum pressure.

If after sufficient cranking to purge any air there is NO flow at a disconnected outlet line from the CP3 - then check that drive gear nut is tight on the CP3.

If so, then time for a new CP3.....

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post