Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: The dreaded 2nd Gen crankcase vent Fix?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

The dreaded 2nd Gen crankcase vent Fix?

So I've read a lot of things about the 2nd gen crankcase vent filter fixes and haven't really come up with one that I liked. Does anyone here have any suggestions if so post pics and how to. Mine does leak yes I'm sure it is that, yes I'm also sure there is a possibility of it being the timing chain cover. But I know for tire the puke bottle is leaking can't really find out abou the other until I get it all cleaned up. I will eventually do both.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Usual fix is to extend the breather to the back of the motor and let it dump down by the frame. Makes a little more mess back there than you would have otherwise, but keeps oil off the radiator.

Others have done more involved breather boxes and drains, but those require maintenance and have the potential to freeze. There is/was a cummins kit that returned oil from the breather to the crankcase, but it was rather spendy last time I looked

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd91 View Post
    Usual fix is to extend the breather to the back of the motor and let it dump down by the frame. Makes a little more mess back there than you would have otherwise, but keeps oil off the radiator.

Others have done more involved breather boxes and drains, but those require maintenance and have the potential to freeze. There is/was a cummins kit that returned oil from the breather to the crankcase, but it was rather spendy last time I looked
    That's what I was wondering if I could just tee into a oil return line to keep the oil from escaping which would also still allow the pressure that is required to keep everything sealed tight.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

its a little involved but if you put a 12v tappet cover on and use the flat plug for the timing cover hole it keeps things pretty clean, i was fotunate enough to have one from a 12v from the factory (98.5) and my engine bay always stayed nice and clean.

2014 CCSB 4x4 Maximum Steel Leveled 295/65/20 Cooper STT Pro RaceME Ultra w/ Warp from DoubleRDiesel, afe boost manifold intake, Flo-Pro 5in turbo back straight pipe

Past:
    98.5 CCLB 4x4 6in on 38s and 20x12s Dyno'd 550rwhp and 1120tq
    01 SCLB 2wd 5spd
    01 SCLB 2wd Beater auto

5. Likes beans20 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: The dreaded 2nd Gen crankcase vent Fix?

Routing a 3/4" extension hose down along the engine/frame to some location behind the engine will generally solve blowby venting getting things dirty. But.....its important to know that any vacuum leak on these trucks will cause the extra air entering the vacuum pump to exit into the crankcase. That extra air will then evacuate through the engines venting hose which will cause an excessive blowby issue. That excessive blowby can cause more oily vapors to travel through the tube and drip on the ground or get things extra dirty under the truck.

To make sure there are no vacuum leaks and the blowby venting level is normal, fully disconnect the vacuum pumps main line and cap it off. If the level of blowby reduces visually then you have a leak somewhere. Check the rubber tips and connectors on the plastic vacuum lines as they get porous with age.

7. Thanks ROWlegend thanked for this post