Thanks Thanks:  96
Likes Likes:  281
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1953 M37 Resto-mod.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

1953 M37 Resto-mod.

Starting a build thread. Hope this is the correct forum. Started with these two, I bought them both earlier in the summer.* Was a hell of busy year as I moved from my farm of 640 acres and over 40 years of junk, to 5 acres with the "junk" I managed to collect over the summer.* *Started in early Nov. of '15.
    Heres the gist of what im doing.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Started by stripping the M down to the frame.* Was an interesting process.* All the hardware was fine threaded and severely rusted.* these things were built like tanks, heavy duty real steel panels, waterproof 24 volt electrical and ignition, snorkel kits for fording, everything was sealed up originally but was mostly rotted completely out.* Heres the specs from wiki.

Dodge M37 Specifications[edit]
    Model: T245 Dodge
    Type: "L" Head, 6 cylinder
    Power: 78 bhp (58.2 kW) at 3200 rpm
    Displacement: 230 cubic inches (3.8 L)
    Bore: 3 1⁄4 in (82.6 mm), Stroke: 4 5⁄8 in (117 mm)
    Oil capacity: 6 U.S. quarts (5.7 L; 5.0 imp qt)
    Radiator capacity: 25 U.S. quarts (24 L; 21 imp qt)

(Canadian version used the larger 250.6 cu in (4.1 L) engine)

Clutch
    Borg & Beck Model 11828 10 in (250 mm) single plate dry disc

(Borg & Beck 11 inch clutch used on Canadian version.)

Fuel System
    Carter carburetor Model ETW-1 sidedraft
    24 U.S. gallons (91 L; 20 imp gal) tank (vented through engine air intake for fording purposes)

Electrical
    Ignition, starting, lights, 24 volts

Transmission
    New Process Model 88950 (or NP420)
    4-speed, Synchro-Shift in 3rd and 4th gear

(Canadian trucks used Canadian Acme Model T-98, a stronger, more reliable transmission.)

Transfer Case
    New Process 88845 (or NP200)
    Ratio: High 1:1, low 1.96:1
    Twin lever operation, one for 4×4 or 4×2 selection, one for hi or low range

Drive Shaft
    MFG Universal Products

Axles
    Dodge Full Floating (hypoid), ratio 5.83:1
    Front Universal Drive New Process (Tracta joint)

Brakes
    Wagner hydraulic drum
    Parking—external contracting band, 48 square inches (310 cm2)

Steering
    Gemmer Model B-60, worm and sector type

Wheelbase
    Cargo Model M37: 112 in (2.8 m), Command Model M42: 112 in (2.8 m)
    Ambulance Model M43: 126 in (3.2 m), Tele. Maint. Model V41: 126 in (3.2 m)

Weight
    M37 without winch: 5,687 lb (2,580 kg), M37 with winch 5,987 lb (2,716 kg)

Tire Size
    9.00 × 16 - 8 ply non-directional military

Highway
    Max Speed 55 mph (89 km/h), Cruising Speed 45 mph, Range: 150 mi (240 km), 6 mpg US (39 L/100 km)

Winch
    Braden LU-4, PTO operated, 7,500 lb (3,400 kg) capacity (250’ of 7/16" wire rope [75 m by 11 mm] – 10’ [3 m] chain with hook)

Torque Specifications
    Clutch (Borg and Beck Model 11828) main bearing cap screws, 80–85 lb·ft (108–115 N·m), connecting rod hex nuts, 45–50 lb·ft (61–68 N·m), cylinder head bolts, 65–70 pound force-feet (88–95 N·m), cranking jaw, 110 pound force-feet (150 N·m) minimum, intake and exhaust manifold stud nuts 15–20 lb·ft (20–27 N·m). (TM 9-1840A, Ordnance Maintenance Engine (Dodge Model T-245, p. 124)

*Found handfuls of .45cal brass and lead under the mud and moss growing in the back, some in the cab under the seats and floor panels.* It was originally commissioned by the US Air force in '53, spent some time in Nevada, Alaska, and Cold lake.* I think its had an interesting life.*

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Weeseven thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So this is getting a 12 Valve?

We ran around the farm in a 50 Dodge 100 for years. Dad found one of those in the early 60's. Pulled stumps, plows, combines, spreaders, water tanks. Slow? 50 in high gear was pushing that thing. It was still there when Dad sold the farm in 71. After 10 years, the engine was so tired we had to squirt oil in the cylinders to get it started on the morning. Gave or Ferguson and Deere a run for their money.

I learned to drive the 50 at 12 years old. Was rebuilding tractor diesels at 14. Yup they lived

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Likes Windycreek, Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post

We ran around the farm in a 50 Dodge 100 for years. Dad found one of those in the early 60's. Pulled stumps, plows, combines, spreaders, water tanks. Slow? 50 in high gear was pushing that thing. It was still there when Dad sold the farm in 71. After 10 years, the engine was so tired we had to squirt oil in the cylinders to get it started on the morning. Gave or Ferguson and Deere a run for their money.

I learned to drive the 50 at 12 years old. Was rebuilding tractor diesels at 14. Yup they lived
    The idea is to chop the frame down to size on the 93, and keep the running gear etc. Swap the body from the power wagon onto it and there ya go a cummins powered m37.

9. Likes Power247, Weeseven, .44mag liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Windycreek View Post
    The idea is to chop the frame down to size on the 93, and keep the running gear etc. Swap the body from the power wagon onto it and there ya go a cummins powered m37.

sounds awesome best of luck to you and keep the updates comming

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Next up was destroying the cummins truck. Heres some of the teardown of the '93.* was a hell of a lot easier to strip this thing compared to the M.* Still pretty rusty but 40 years younger definitely made a difference.* On the flip side you even walk towards it with a hammer and the body panels start to fold.* LOL.**

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, Snow Dodge, .44mag liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post

Sorry .... I didn't think they had internal combustion engines back when you were a kid ......

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Thanks dodgedieselskog thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

So once the cab was mocked up it was time to shorten the frame.* Took 37 inches out of the frame.* Had to measure, measure ,measure cut.* Needed to have the right length to accommodate the cummins up front with room for the rad etc* still center the rear axle in the wheel wells as well as allow for the use of the stock fuel tank and filler neck.* Took a bit of braining to sort it out but I think we got it right.*

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Sorry .... I didn't think they had internal combustion engines back when you were a kid ......
    Yeah That was right after you invented the stone wheel. Touche'

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

17. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast