Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Side mirror / Tow mirror mash-up....

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Side mirror / Tow mirror mash-up....

Been wanting to change the standard 1st gen chrome power side mirrors on my doors for a while. Didn't want to move the stainless tow mirrors and arms over from my original 84 doors...didn't wan the extra holes in my doors.

So I had been trying to come up with something that would give me better mirrors for towing, and not mess up the current mounting on the door. Well I finally came up with something.

First here is a pic of the OEM side mirror and the new style I wanted to put on.

And the little arms used to hold these onto the stainless tow mirror brackets...

What I found was that the OD of the tow mirror 90* bends, and the OD of the shaft, the chrome mirror uses were the same...Bingo! That was the info I needed.

I tried to come up with something that would be a simple drop in, but couldn't find anything. So went to plan "B"....lets make what we want.

First I measured the depth of the threaded portion on the 90...then gave an extra 1/4" and marked that out....that will be where my cut will go.

Then a bit of cutting on the chop saw...

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Then I cut some 3/4 round bar...BTW the OD measurement was .75"... I made the top portion of the arm 7" long...had to cut two different size pieces since the 90's were different lengths. And then made the lower section 8".

Then off to do some welding...

And after some quality time with the flapper disc on the 4.5" angel grinder...Love those flapper discs!!

Then I decided I would smooth out the surface a bit....mixed up some old body filler and gooped it on.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Took some pics of the primer and paint...but pics didn't come through on the camera. Anyway once I smoothed the body filler I gave it a couple coats of sandable primer, then two more coats of satin black paint.

Now the fun part....

You will need to remove your interior door panels so you can unplug the power mirror connection. Once that is done remove the lower screw on the side cover and move the cover up out of the way.

I first thought I could leave the bracket in place, but the wiring for the mirror is bolted to the frame on the back side...bolt is 8mm. The main bracket, and mirror are held on with three 10mm nuts.

The bolts for the clamp are 8mm as well.

Once the assembly is off the truck take the time to clean the paint under neath...then give it a wax as well. But before you start assembling the new unit you need to get a couple pieces off.

Remove the wiring pins from the plug. Use a small jewelers screw driver to pop out the keeper..mine was yellow...then use the same small screwdriver to lift the tabs on each of the pins and pull them out.

Once the wiring is free remove the plastic shaft liner, and the main chrome body cover.

Then slide the plastic sleeve over the bottom of the arm, and makes sure you bracket is on good shape. There is a small ridge at the bottom of the area the arm sits in....the new arm will hit that and not slide down.

Then install on the truck....

I left the two 8mm bolts just snugged up...so I could adjust the mirror arm easier.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Then I cleaned up the stainless bolts, washers and nylon spacers from the tow mirrors. Gave the mirrors a quick cleaning....and installed. Don't forget the never seize on the bolts.

And all done....

I'm quite happy with the way it turned out, I have much better visibility now.

5. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Man that came out nice! Well done!

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Thanks thrashingcows thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yeah man that looks great!

9. Thanks thrashingcows thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7
    Looks awesome nice write up

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

11. Thanks thrashingcows thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree with @5.9cummins statement, not just a nice setup with your work, but one heck of a good write-up is others wanted to do this repair.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Thanks thrashingcows thanked for this post
    Likes LB Heating liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just a little update...Got on the Hwy today to and from work...mirrors don't rattle or shake at all. Actually I think they are more stable then the old OEM power units.

15. Likes Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10
    Thats good new not only do they look good they are functional

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk