Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Programmer for 2nd gen?

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have to mention this. There were many chips out at the start of the trend. Many stayed in business .. many died. But that was at the start and because of time, knowledge and the stay put of those companies, we wouldn't have the selection and improvements of todays products. If it wasn't from learning from the beginning, we'd be back in the dark ages for diesels.

RaceMe was mentioned.
    The designers of RaceMe owned how many other chips before they desided to make their own ?
    From how many lessens learned did the designers go through in their diesel ownership to develop their first one and how many more did they experience for their improvements ?

Can we talk that bad of the past products since they were the foundation of what we have now ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Likes beans20 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I've run several different tuners in my 99 and I have to say the Quadzilla has been the best for adjust ability power and performance. I ran the smarty for a while before I installed my twins and then added an Edge comp eventually removed the smarty and ran the Comp alone then upgraded it to a Drag comp. I ran a tst powermax 3 for a little while and didn't like the pedal feel of that it was like an on/off switch sometimes but it made good power and performance. I finally traded all that in and bought a Quadzilla with the Iquad and I love the custom tuning and being able to adjust anything you want on the fly.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, beans20 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Best Programmer for 2nd gen?

Smarty is very limited on VP trucks, about +65hp tops. Most of the 'low end power' people claim is APPS fooling, giving a higher throttle percent than commanded by the APPS. Makes it feel strong low, but seemingly noses over higher up. Same thing can be done on boxes that let you 'custom tune', though it really just tends to make things smokier with no power gain

They are pretty spendy for the amount gained, you'll need to go to a wiretap box if you want more power. The 'first ones' and good products for newer vehicles arguments are irrelevant. What works on newer generations well has no bearing to what works well on VP trucks, completely different technology.

6. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mulcher812 View Post
    I've run several different tuners in my 99 and I have to say the Quadzilla has been the best for adjust ability power and performance. I ran the smarty for a while before I installed my twins and then added an Edge comp eventually removed the smarty and ran the Comp alone then upgraded it to a Drag comp. I ran a tst powermax 3 for a little while and didn't like the pedal feel of that it was like an on/off switch sometimes but it made good power and performance. I finally traded all that in and bought a Quadzilla with the Iquad and I love the custom tuning and being able to adjust anything you want on the fly.
    Hi mike!

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I ran a smarty and then switched to an edge comp, better mileage out of the edge and better overall power, the smarty was a total smoke show. Depending on the mileage a set of new injectors will help a good amount, i actually gained a little mileage (when i could keep my foot out of it) when i switched from my 120k mile rv275 injectors to 7x.10 SAC injectors. Super easy job on the 2nd gen, ive done two sets of injectors with hand tools in a driveway in under an 1.5hrs

2014 CCSB 4x4 Maximum Steel Leveled 295/65/20 Cooper STT Pro RaceME Ultra w/ Warp from DoubleRDiesel, afe boost manifold intake, Flo-Pro 5in turbo back straight pipe

Past:
    98.5 CCLB 4x4 6in on 38s and 20x12s Dyno'd 550rwhp and 1120tq
    01 SCLB 2wd 5spd
    01 SCLB 2wd Beater auto

8. Thanks beans20 thanked for this post
    Likes beans20 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Re: Best Programmer for 2nd gen?

In defense of the Smarty, all the tuning is for low end power. Its really good for spooling larger turbos or towing, not to mention being able to read/clear codes, set the speed limit, and adjust for tire size.
    Remember that you can download the Update from MADS and tune out a lot of the smoke, economy mode works well for that too.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes beans20, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Re: Best Programmer for 2nd gen?

Quote Originally Posted by 01calicummins View Post
    I ran a smarty and then switched to an edge comp, better mileage out of the edge and better overall power, the smarty was a total smoke show. Depending on the mileage a set of new injectors will help a good amount, i actually gained a little mileage (when i could keep my foot out of it) when i switched from my 120k mile rv275 injectors to 7x.10 SAC injectors. Super easy job on the 2nd gen, ive done two sets of injectors with hand tools in a driveway in under an 1.5hrs
    Guys I appreciate all of the feedback! I think I'm just going to have to do like I did with the raceme and go with my gut. I mean if it turns out it's not the one for me I'll just have to bite the bullet, and change it. I guess that's part of being a grown up (which sucks sometime). But like I said before the best lesson is a bought lesson. I think as of right now I'm going to go with the Quadzilla. But if it turns out that Quadzilla isn't what I'm looking for I'm going to switch over to the edge. Again thanks guys!

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12