Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 68RFE Issue After Service

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE Issue After Service

Ok so recently I bought a transmission service kit from Cascade. Well I serviced my transmission ended up going with AMSOIL FULL SYNTHETIC ATF, after service I ensure that the filters were placed properly and everything was situated like it was supposed to be and the Trans was topped off the correct way everything went smoothly, or so I thought. Now every once in a while when I get it and start the truck, no matter how long it's been whether it's 5 mins after being shutoff or 5 hrs, when I put the Trans in gear it's doing a delayed engagement. So basically after I put it in gear I give it a little throttle to go on about my business the truck barely moves then all of a sudden it will pick up like normal again. It doesn't do a hard catch it just picks up slowly to the way it should be. Now I have the Trans tuning from the RaceMe, so I monitor Trans pressure I know when it is about to do the issue because when it's at idle the line pressure is usually around 110 psi. When it is acting normal, I press the brake pedal to put it down in gear pressure goes from 110 psi to 136 psi. When it's about to do it's delayed engagement, it goes from 110 psi at idle, to 136 psi when I depress the brake pedal, then shoots down to 30 psi, then back up to 136 psi when it's ready to actually engage. My question is, could this be due to the fact that I used AMSOIL instead of the Mopar ATF+4? Because essentially the AMSOIL is a little more slippery than the standard stuff. So it could possibly be a little thicker causing the fluid to get a little thick in the lines. Once it did throw 2 Trans related DTC's one was P0869 (Governor Pressure Sensor Volts Too High), the other was P0944 (Hydraulic Pressure Unit Loss of Pressure). I have cleared those codes and since then they haven't been back. Those codes came on after I gave it a little more throttle than normal to get in with the flow of traffic on the interstate. So should I switch back to Mopar ATF+4? Yes I have been in contact with Cascade and they are also confused on what the situation might be due to the fact they've never heard of this issue. No I don't expect everyone to know the issue to the problem. It does seem a little odd.

2. Likes SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

The sump filter seal is in tight? When I dropped my pan a while back for a flush, mine did similar but I got a P0841 code and I found that the sump filter seal had slipped out. I had to take the seal off and press it in before putting the neck of the sump filter in. Also, does the service kit include Mopar filters?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    The sump filter seal is in tight? When I dropped my pan a while back for a flush, mine did similar but I got a P0841 code and I found that the sump filter seal had slipped out. I had to take the seal off and press it in before putting the neck of the sump filter in. Also, does the service kit include Mopar filters?

Yes, I pressed in the sump filter seal prior to putting in the sump. No they were not OE filters unfortunately. I feel like that could possibly be another issue. I know the 68 is a very finicky Trans so I probably should've thought to put back OE filters. I've heard of some filter manufacturers filters not being up to par. I don't blame that on Cascade. So I think my best bet would probably be to re-do the whole thing again and put back in Mopar fluid.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I've read that some aftermarket filters will let all of the fluid drain back into the pan and create low pressure also. I'll have to try to find that article.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Did you ask @Cascade Trans Parts?

👉Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!👈

"The grass is greener where you water it"

7. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    I've read that some aftermarket filters will let all of the fluid drain back into the pan and create low pressure also. I'll have to try to find that article.

Ok thanks I would be interested in reading that!

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS View Post
    Did you ask @Cascade Trans Parts?

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!
    Yes sir. They have been as helpful as possible. I have emailed them several times they have emailed me a couple times I'm sure they are extremely busy. I know that's business.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8
    I want to know the answer to this as well. I purchased a couple gallons for future services of amsoil fluid but amsoil themselves says their fluid should not be used in the 68RFE so I got the Mopar stuff off amazon and used that and shelved the amsoil. I have amsoil in every other fluid besides the trans.

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Here is a couple of links that I found about using aftermarket filters and drain back from the TC. I know they're from the dreaded "CF" but good reads.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07...-behavior.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4t...on-filter.html

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Before we go jumping to conclusions, let Rob from @Cascade Trans Parts have his say. I'm sure he's sold many of these already.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes beans20 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast