Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiled or dry filter?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Oiled or dry filter?

Hi guys i want to purchase a S &B intake for my 2005 2500 but i had a few questions for you all.
    1. Whats better oiled or dry filter?( i have a company work truck so i am not usually in very dusty areas)
    2. Whats the benefits of either one?
    3. They sell a air scoop that comes down and pulls air from under the front bumper . It is worth it ? Its 100 bucks
    Thanks in advance and hope you all have a good holiday weekend. Unfortunately i will be working LOL

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I am not a fan of oiled air filters. The chance for oil to get sucked into the turbo is not worth it. Only dry for me.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks 5.9cummins, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    I don't believe in oiled filters. I think they are a terrible idea. I would rather replace dry filters more often than risk my engine with an oil filter not catching something.

6. Thanks 5.9cummins, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Thanks for the info so far gents

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have had both and have mixed feelings on each.

But I will tell you that if you buy the oil, the biggest issue is servicing the filter. Many people will follow the instructions and wash as stated. Then this is where the problem starts for many, they don't wait for the filter to dry before putting on the oil. 2nd, most tend to over oil the filter, which is a problem when the oil is sucked into the intake tube. It can coat the MAP sensor and even if only droplets travel to the turbo fan blades, and this will through off the balance in time. A destoryed turbo. The main question is ... will you do it properly ALL the time ?

I have the S&B unit with the snout and very happy with it. But over time, I have used the paper filter. Since the replacement of the first paper filter, I have found a reusable paper element from aFe and using that, with very happy results. It is a true CAI. All air is actually from outside the engine compartment. Is this beneficial for the engine ? Since using it, the only advantage is I notice less soot on the back fender and bumper than from the stock or other CAI I have had. Increase in mpg's ?? No. Louder spooling from the turbo ?? Not really. But I do seem to be getting better mpg's when driving through higher elevations like Flagstaff, Az. then at home in Tenn.

My question to you: What are your looking to achieve from this unit ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation Dale's Super Store's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 5.9cummins View Post
    Hi guys i want to purchase a S &B intake for my 2005 2500 but i had a few questions for you all.
    1. Whats better oiled or dry filter?( i have a company work truck so i am not usually in very dusty areas)
    2. Whats the benefits of either one?
    3. They sell a air scoop that comes down and pulls air from under the front bumper . It is worth it ? Its 100 bucks
    Thanks in advance and hope you all have a good holiday weekend. Unfortunately i will be working LOL

S&B! Dry

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I have had both and have mixed feelings on each.

But I will tell you that if you buy the oil, the biggest issue is servicing the filter. Many people will follow the instructions and wash as stated. Then this is where the problem starts for many, they don't wait for the filter to dry before putting on the oil. 2nd, most tend to over oil the filter, which is a problem when the oil is sucked into the intake tube. It can coat the MAP sensor and even if only droplets travel to the turbo fan blades, and this will through off the balance in time. A destoryed turbo. The main question is ... will you do it properly ALL the time ?

I have the S&B unit with the snout and very happy with it. But over time, I have used the paper filter. Since the replacement of the first paper filter, I have found a reusable paper element from aFe and using that, with very happy results. It is a true CAI. All air is actually from outside the engine compartment. Is this beneficial for the engine ? Since using it, the only advantage is I notice less soot on the back fender and bumper than from the stock or other CAI I have had. Increase in mpg's ?? No. Louder spooling from the turbo ?? Not really. But I do seem to be getting better mpg's when driving through higher elevations like Flagstaff, Az. then at home in Tenn.

My question to you: What are your looking to achieve from this unit ?
    Ultimately i want to get the best power i can out of the truck,currently i am saving up to get a built trans but for now i just wanted to do a few of the more inexpensive mods. All i have done performance wise is 5 inch turbo back straight pipe to a 8 inch stack ( doesn't count as performance technically) but in the end i want to shoot for 700 hp plus . So until i save up for the trans i dont want to get a tuner in fear of blowing the trans apart.i have heard mixed things about CAI on diesels. Are they worth it? I know i throw them on all my gas vehicles and they seem to liven them up.

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8
    And thank you anoldbiker for all of your info its much appreciated

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I made a mistake and stated I had the aFe filter. It's the aFe 'DRY' filter, not the oil one. I have used it for 3 years now and clean it every year. It's still like new. When I clean it I pull the tunnel from the box to the turbo and wipe it to see if there is dust, and so far none.

I'm far from a pro, just a garage monkey, but I understand that the stock box can handle up to about 700 horses. But I'm also old and old fashion and believe on any diesel, to open the air in and gases out. That's why I got the S&B and a 5" exhaust. But my truck is 10 years old and very different from the newer ones.

As for a chip, I have the Smarty Touch, but there's others sold here that are excellent. You don't have to rack it to the max until you upgrade the trans and such. But still get the benefits of the chip. My trans is still stock, but why not get the benefit and performance, AND stay within our trucks limitations ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

17. Top Of Page | #10
    True sir and yes i also believe more air in the better and my truck is also 11 years old and as of now i think im gonna go with the dry s and b thanks all and i wont be purchasing for a week or so. So if anyone else has any advice keep it coming ...thanks all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast