Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy injector diagnostics

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Easy injector diagnostics

So I've been trying to figure out how to easily determine which injector failed when you have a no check engine light. Man I tell you I've been searching everywhere. And then I found the information I was looking for but only by mistake. So I was watching a bunch of YouTube videos of injector noise(rattle) sure everybody in the videos new what the noise was but didn't know what to do to figure out which injector was the culprit. Finally I decided to read the comments and believe it when I got to read the last comment there was my answer. TO FIND THE BAD INJECTOR WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING GRAB EACH INJECTOR FUEL SUPPLY LINE AND SEE WHICH ONE VIBRATES THE MOST AND THERE WILL BE THE BAD INJECTOR I thought ya right so I did it and found #1 had more vibration than the others so I bought a new injector and installed it and I couldn't believe it the person that left the comment was correct. So there you have it Easy injector diagnostics. Although I can see this not working in every situation but it worked for me.

05 2500 4dr shortbed 4" lift on 35's, 4" straight pipe, Afe intake

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    So I've been trying to figure out how to easily determine which injector failed when you have a no check engine light. Man I tell you I've been searching everywhere. And then I found the information I was looking for but only by mistake. So I was watching a bunch of YouTube videos of injector noise(rattle) sure everybody in the videos new what the noise was but didn't know what to do to figure out which injector was the culprit. Finally I decided to read the comments and believe it when I got to read the last comment there was my answer. TO FIND THE BAD INJECTOR WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING GRAB EACH INJECTOR FUEL SUPPLY LINE AND SEE WHICH ONE VIBRATES THE MOST AND THERE WILL BE THE BAD INJECTOR I thought ya right so I did it and found #1 had more vibration than the others so I bought a new injector and installed it and I couldn't believe it the person that left the comment was correct. So there you have it Easy injector diagnostics. Although I can see this not working in every situation but it worked for me.

interesting... thanks

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

5. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

This can be a valid diagnostic aid - but I would definitely use it with caution. The abnormal vibration in the line is probably more due to abnormal combustion in the cylinder (caused by an incorrect injection event) than by the action of the injector itself. This method will probably be most useful in more extreme cases of injector failure than in more subtle ones. Because vibrations and sounds can travel is strange ways sometimes it could also be misleading. I'm glad it proved successful in this case, but would definitely caution against putting too much faith in it.

A minor variation on the technique is to listen to the line with a mechanic's stethoscope. This keeps the hands away from high pressure lines during operation - which is desirable from a safety standpoint.

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

That's why I join this site, learning more and more

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Weeseven, dmuney, Cummins7 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I believe the best way I've done was to install a line plug at the injector rail one by one till you get no more noise. An electronic cutout test usually works also, but even I don't have that at home. Line plugs from Geno's Garage for both 5.9 and 6.7- they are different. Just be very careful because fuel is at high pressure. I would use the vibration test to find a place to start with though.

10. Thanks Weeseven, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Or you could get the line caps from a supporting vendor..... Accurate Diesel!

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Sorry, I missed that. was looking at Geno's the other day, but I will search you from now on. I have been on that "other" sight for awhile and not impressed like this sight.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

No problem!

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 68muleteem View Post
    I believe the best way I've done was to install a line plug at the injector rail one by one till you get no more noise. An electronic cutout test usually works also, but even I don't have that at home. Line plugs from Geno's Garage for both 5.9 and 6.7- they are different. Just be very careful because fuel is at high pressure. I would use the vibration test to find a place to start with though.
    I did attempt to find the bad injector, i us d a SNAP-On Modis ultra only scan tool out of 6 from work that would actually do an injector kill test . But when I did it I didn't notice any change in sound besides the exhaust making a poof sound. Form the dead hole

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast