Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Cool" mod?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

"Cool" mod?

Okay so I'm at the same point every diesel owner has been at, I have an amount of money to spend on my truck (03 cummins) not very much but it's burning a hole in my pocket. I want something to set my truck apart from others some mod performance or cosmetic that is just different. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by codydell01 View Post
    Okay so I'm at the same point every diesel owner has been at, I have an amount of money to spend on my truck (03 cummins) not very much but it's burning a hole in my pocket. I want something to set my truck apart from others some mod performance or cosmetic that is just different. Any ideas?

OK Just give us a blank check.

What's been done to the truck so far?

How about a picture so we can see what it looks like.

100_0512.jpg

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

4 inch exhaust straight pipe (hehe) smarty programmer and a leveling kit, also has a touch screen radio(not enough money for rims or anything of that nature LOL)

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Like anything seriously, interior parts that are convent, or cool decals (nothing flashy) just anything to do to the truck LOL

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The problem with recommending mods is that they are all about personal taste. That being said here's a few less?? expensive ideas that I have done or will do in the future...
    Swap interior lights to LEDs
    Add LED strip lights under dash, in door pockets, cup holders,etc. They can be wired in with the dome light or put on a switch (or both)
    Open up the headlights and paint to match truck. Add some HID projectors while you have them open (I have had great luck with DDM Tuning)
    Upgrade speakers (Infinity Reference series are a great budget speaker)

What ever you decide to do make sure you post up some pics when you are done.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes E.mccarthy7018, AnOldBiker, Polaraco liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

What @Power247 said was right on the money. .... "they are all about personal taste" ...

Since YOU know the exact amount you can/are willing to spend, I'd recommend stop
    drooling right now, and sit down with a sheet of paper and a pencil with a BIG eraser, then when your heart stops pounding, start writing items you feel you'd like to have that makes your truck ... YOU.

What will she be used for in your life, your end goals, your desires as extras and "what gets that personal touch that makes her known as your truck". With this list you can modify as needed in time and actually start on a planned change to her personality that will fit YOU.

If not, you'll be all over the place, spending piles of money and eventually own someone elses truck.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes Power247, oneshotkyle liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    The problem with recommending mods is that they are all about personal taste. That being said here's a few less?? expensive ideas that I have done or will do in the future...
    Swap interior lights to LEDs
    Add LED strip lights under dash, in door pockets, cup holders,etc. They can be wired in with the dome light or put on a switch (or both)
    Open up the headlights and paint to match truck. Add some HID projectors while you have them open (I have had great luck with DDM Tuning)
    Upgrade speakers (Infinity Reference series are a great budget speaker)

What ever you decide to do make sure you post up some pics when you are done.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    What @Power247 said was right on the money. .... "they are all about personal taste" ...

Since YOU know the exact amount you can/are willing to spend, I'd recommend stop
    drooling right now, and sit down with a sheet of paper and a pencil with a BIG eraser, then when your heart stops pounding, start writing items you feel you'd like to have that makes your truck ... YOU.

What will she be used for in your life, your end goals, your desires as extras and "what gets that personal touch that makes her known as your truck". With this list you can modify as needed in time and actually start on a planned change to her personality that will fit YOU.

If not, you'll be all over the place, spending piles of money and eventually own someone elses truck.
    I agree.

Best we can do is give you some ideas. That's why I put my 03 picture up for you. The truck does look a bit plain.

I like wheel opening moldings. If you are going to do stuff on the outside, pick a color scheme. Looks funny with mixed colors on it. Whate and black, whaite and blue, red orange, green whatever.

A small upgrade in the turbo is nice. I out an 05 turbo in mine. It's a couple of MM larger, but made a difference. Look at the mods in my signature, maybe there is an idea there.

If you want to go for MPG and some slight power, talk to Ray @Double R Diesel. He can build a nice program for you with the smarty. Last real clocking I did on my 03 was 18 around town. He and I were in Aw. We're still testing that. But he can get you 16 in semi-city driving

All we're going to do is throw ideas at you. The rest is up to you. If you want, show us before you buy

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I agree.

Best we can do is give you some ideas. That's why I put my 03 picture up for you. The truck does look a bit plain.

I like wheel opening moldings. If you are going to do stuff on the outside, pick a color scheme. Looks funny with mixed colors on it. Whate and black, whaite and blue, red orange, green whatever.

A small upgrade in the turbo is nice. I out an 05 turbo in mine. It's a couple of MM larger, but made a difference. Look at the mods in my signature, maybe there is an idea there.

If you want to go for MPG and some slight power, talk to Ray @Double R Diesel. He can build a nice program for you with the smarty. Last real clocking I did on my 03 was 18 around town. He and I were in Aw. We're still testing that. But he can get you 16 in semi-city driving

All we're going to do is throw ideas at you. The rest is up to you. If you want, show us before you buy
    I really want to do a 2nd Gen mani fold swap, iv heard common rails with it done and they sound pure mean. But I'm Not sure how expensive and how easily this can be done, I'm not Mr money bags. (taking into count something goes wrong)

Also that 05 turbo swap sounds interesting, did you buy it used or new? How noticeable was the power? Was it a direct bolt or was there fab work?

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by codydell01 View Post
    I really want to do a 2nd Gen mani fold swap, iv heard common rails with it done and they sound pure mean. But I'm Not sure how expensive and how easily this can be done, I'm not Mr money bags. (taking into count something goes wrong)

Also that 05 turbo swap sounds interesting, did you buy it used or new? How noticeable was the power? Was it a direct bolt or was there fab work?

I bought a used one that was in good shape. It had something like 150K on it. But I am planning on doing a rebuild on it. It's up around 200K now. Performance and MPG were slightly better based on stock. But it did spool up faster. Sold my old one and broke even. I put +50HP injectors in it, I got them from @AccurateDiesel. I suffered there, but Ray has been able to fix that with the Smarty tuning. I just filled it up the other day and 50 miles since. Tank is still over full. I think we're in that 18-19 range around town as I said before. Not as powerful as the stock Smarty tunes, but better for the wallet and trans.

I think the common rail manifolds flow better. That's what you want. You can't always have cool and practical in the same mod.

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I bought a used one that was in good shape. It had something like 150K on it. But I am planning on doing a rebuild on it. It's up around 200K now. Performance and MPG were slightly better based on stock. But it did spool up faster. Sold my old one and broke even. I put +50HP injectors in it, I got them from @AccurateDiesel. I suffered there, but Ray has been able to fix that with the Smarty tuning. I just filled it up the other day and 50 miles since. Tank is still over full. I think we're in that 18-19 range around town as I said before. Not as powerful as the stock Smarty tunes, but better for the wallet and trans.

I think the common rail manifolds flow better. That's what you want. You can't always have cool and practical in the same mod.
    I'm going to highly Consider the turbo swap, sounds like it could suit me better and maybe easier on the wallet. As far as the smarty goes I leave mine on 40hp bc I like my Trans LOL but it wakes the motor up enough for me.

As far as it goes with the Maine fold I'm going to look into it it will replace the turbo so idk about oil feed lines and such, I may do the 05 turbo and manifold swap at the same time if my wallet will allow it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast