Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have Any Questions About The New 5.0L Titan Cummins?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Anyone Have Any Questions About The New 5.0L Titan Cummins?

Just wanted to post and say I've had hands on training for the "new" 5.0L V8 cummins, so if anyone had any questions about it ill try my best to answer them! Also a nice thing to note is this engine isnt brand new, its been in industrial applications for 4-5 years for durability testing before it was put in the new Titan so its been around the block and hopefully it holds up as good as the 5.9's/6.7's

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco, Murph thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Welcome!! Glad you joined the forum to share your experience with the new Cummins Titan.

So, what did you think?

Did you compare driving the Cummins to another diesel or a gas Titan?

Reviews online seem mixed. Most say it feels and drives great... But tend to bash its tow ratings.

I personally will have a hard time buying another Titan after my experience with my '04 but a Cummins Titan just might be enough to sway me to think again...

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

@Thawks awesome!!

#titan

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Likes Murph liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree there are mixed reviews, but I've heard more pros than cons.
    But in a 1/2 ton ? Waiting to here your comments .

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thawks View Post
    Just wanted to post and say I've had hands on training for the "new" 5.0L V8 cummins, so if anyone had any questions about it ill try my best to answer them! Also a nice thing to note is this engine isnt brand new, its been in industrial applications for 4-5 years for durability testing before it was put in the new Titan so its been around the block and hopefully it holds up as good as the 5.9's/6.7's
    Thanks!

I recall reading something about that. They just added automotive to it. Ugh Emission controls. . . . . The industrial version was a real producer, but i understand, lake all v8 diesels, it fell short on the torque ratio's.

Is this thing an erector set inside or did that keep it simple. I know the 6.7 Ford has baskets full of parts internally. complicated. It looks like they just added pieces instead of re-engineering one part. The head in the common rail is no better.

Is there a breakdown picture of the internals?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Likes Murph liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So it rides and shifts great, you can tell it doesn't make the torque of the 6.7 but once you hit the skinny pedal it will get up and go, doesn't seem to have the dead pedal like my 15' did stock. Haven't gotten a gas version in yet but it should run great with 390ish HP and the gas engine has been used in the infiniti's for quite a few years now so it shouldn't have any bugs to work out. I will say the tow ratings are a downfall as its on the low side compared to a real 2500. But it's capability is between a 1500 and 2500. Also there is 2 different versions, the regular Titan is a 1500 and the XD is what the diesel is and is rated to tow more weight. There will be 3 engine options now, the v6 and v8 gas in the reg Titan and the XD will have the has v8 or 5.0 diesel from what I was told. The engine is actually pretty simple to do common repairs such as turbo/High pressure fuel pump replacement. The engine I worked on was on a stand and I had both turbos off in about 2 hours. The intake only took about 30 mins to remove. The industrial version used a VGT turbo but they built a compound setup for the Titan version to eliminate any lag that you would have with a VGT turbo.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, Murph liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Also I have some pics of the engine as I removed the intake, turbos, high pressure fuel pump, valve train ETC I will post when I get a chance. I was really surprised at how easily everything came apart but after all it is a cummins so IMO they tend to engineer things the simple way unlike other companies, such as Isuzu and ford LOL

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thawks View Post
    ... The engine I worked on was on a stand and I had both turbos off in about 2 hours. The intake only took about 30 mins to remove ....

For some reason I had to re-read this thread again. Something was rattling in my head. They train you, a mechanic, in class to work on engines "on a stand". Yet when a mechanic or a home grown garage mechanic works on the engine, is almost NEVER on a stand, but "In The Engine Compartment. And it has bothered me that engineers who are to design the engines, also replacement parts for the engines seem to only consider working "on a stand".

Now as a mechanic in training for this engine, may I ask, if this was placed "IN" the engine compartment:
    Could you pull both turbos off in the same time ?
    Could you pull the intake in the 30 minutes mention ?
    Filter changes and draiing oil ?
    Replace a starter ?
    Complete coolant service ?

I've had issues all my life when serviceing my past vehicles, and I apologize, but I feel they need the engineers and mechanics as a mandatory assignment, to service their engines and parts replacements "ON" the engine AND "IN" the actual engine compartment.

Maybe, and this is a maybe ... there would be many changes very soon ... or less engineers working for the automotive industry.

(I'm sorry, but I'm old ... and we old people need to vent now and then.)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Murph thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, fourteen, Power247, Murph liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    For some reason I had to re-read this thread again. Something was rattling in my head. They train you, a mechanic, in class to work on engines "on a stand". Yet when a mechanic or a home grown garage mechanic works on the engine, is almost NEVER on a stand, but "In The Engine Compartment. And it has bothered me that engineers who are to design the engines, also replacement parts for the engines seem to only consider working "on a stand".

Now as a mechanic in training for this engine, may I ask, if this was placed "IN" the engine compartment:
    Could you pull both turbos off in the same time ?
    Could you pull the intake in the 30 minutes mention ?
    Filter changes and draiing oil ?
    Replace a starter ?
    Complete coolant service ?

I've had issues all my life when serviceing my past vehicles, and I apologize, but I feel they need the engineers and mechanics as a mandatory assignment, to service their engines and parts replacements "ON" the engine AND "IN" the actual engine compartment.

Maybe, and this is a maybe ... there would be many changes very soon ... or less engineers working for the automotive industry.

(I'm sorry, but I'm old ... and we old people need to vent now and then.)
    Then go to the Rant Thread

Back in the 80's and early 90's, Iacocca brought mechanics in from around the country to work on the prototypes. Then it was a fine line between, logical, functional, practical, and CHEAP! But it did do some good.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

But when Iacocca stepped down, they went back to the old ways. And they haven't looked back since.
    Read some of the stories in changing filters and such as a basic maintance task.
    The newer the year, the more
    complaints I read.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast