Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have Any Questions About The New 5.0L Titan Cummins?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Anyone Have Any Questions About The New 5.0L Titan Cummins?

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    But when Iacocca stepped down, they went back to the old ways. And they haven't looked back since.
    Read some of the stories in changing filters and such as a basic maintance task.
    The newer the year, the more
    complaints I read.
    Yah, that's one reason I installed an Amsoil dual filter bypass setup. Service is easy now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I think the real test will be how they do with the emissions. These trucks will probably be more of grocery getter for some people. Hopefully they do great! But is anyone working on a plan B if they dont?

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

4. Likes Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

For some reason I had to re-read this thread again. Something was rattling in my head. They train you, a mechanic, in class to work on engines "on a stand". Yet when a mechanic or a home grown garage mechanic works on the engine, is almost NEVER on a stand, but "In The Engine Compartment. And it has bothered me that engineers who are to design the engines, also replacement parts for the engines seem to only consider working "on a stand".

Now as a mechanic in training for this engine, may I ask, if this was placed "IN" the engine compartment:
    Could you pull both turbos off in the same time ?
    Could you pull the intake in the 30 minutes mention ?
    Filter changes and draiing oil ?
    Replace a starter ?
    Complete coolant service ?

I've had issues all my life when serviceing my past vehicles, and I apologize, but I feel they need the engineers and mechanics as a mandatory assignment, to service their engines and parts replacements "ON" the engine AND "IN" the actual engine compartment.

Maybe, and this is a maybe ... there would be many changes very soon ... or less engineers working for the automotive industry.

(I'm sorry, but I'm old ... and we old people need to vent now and then.)
    so just guessing but I'd say it would take roughly an hour to pull the intake for the first time.
    Add about 3 or so additional hours to pull the turbos and rotary turbine control valve.
    Nothing special about doing an oil change except the oil is only suppose to be about halfway up the crosshatch on the dipstick per the service manual. If you set the oil level to the top of the crosshatch it will actually be overfilled. Another interesting thing is the factory filled oil looks almost like pepto-bismal as it has dye installed at the cummins factory.
    Stater replacement maybe an hour or so, a lot better than the Titan 5.6 gas engine as its hidden under the intake plenum. Luckily that hardly ever fail.
    Coolant change is straight forward and has a bleed port to help remove excess air from the system.
    Las far as not training on an engine in the truck, I'm fine with it. I'm used to having limited information on a lot of repairs, service manuals can also be very vague on diagnostics and repair procedures. Things could be better but oh well, we make it work.
    The price point is a little higher than I figured now that ive seen a few window stickers. It does fill a niche in the market that was open but a loaded top of the line "platinum reserve" is around 65k. That's not far from a loaded ram 2500 that is capable of towing quite a bit more with more power etc. I do hope the truck is a success and I'm excited to see what kind of power they make once some companies figure out tuning.
    We recently got a pro-4x version in and sticker was 56k for a very nicely equipped truck.
    Also the exhaust emissions system looks exactly like the setup on the 6.7. Just visually looking at it, it looks as if they would interchange. From what I was told cummins was one of the first to be successful at exhaust emmisions on diesel and have great success with very few failures. The egr side is more complicated than the 6.7 as it can do hot egr(bypasses the egr cooler) for even quicker warmup and cooled egr while driving down the road.
    Looking back I lost the pictures of the engine as I destroyed my phone a few weeks ago and didn't have my data backed up.
    2 things the truck lacks that o really think it should've come with is an exhaust break and slightly higher towing capacity. I'm only guessing but I figure they went with less towing capacity to keep the ride soft and to prevent being direct competition with the big 3.

6. Likes RATLIN'HP, Murph liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Even indirect competition has made companies improve and advance the industry for decades, so let it happen, it benefits us, the general public. I have my drawbacks and rough comments, but have always thought the rice burners have, over the years made the USA auto industry learn, change and grow. Sometimes to slow and other times like it should. But it has to have DIRECT or INDIRECT compentition to make the system work. Some new ideas grab on quickly while others take forever to suceed or die. I feel this might take two or three years to find it's nitch in the market, most do, but I think in the long haul, they have a possible long haul winner and as first on the market with it, might be the leader in that section of the field. After all, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the Toyota Tundra is coming out with the 1/2 ton diesel ??? Toyota has their die hard followers, Nissan has theirs ..... it's the unclaimed territory in the population they need to get to their side first to be the leader of the field.

As for the servicing of the vehicles, I have a 10 years old truck that has enough room to almost climb in for most servicing. And I have read many newer models have parts, (engine and body parts), blocking entry, making it harder to do the same thing. It's like you have to be a contortionist for an owner to work on their vehicle in their home garage.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Well I have found my first gripe about the new Titan. We have recently gotten a few more in stock and I was in a hurry to get fuel the other day so I went to the big truck island to fill it up, only to find out the nozzle is too big to fit in the filler tube. Not sure who's idea it was but they def didn't think that through. I had to hold the nozzle in and could only pump about half speed LOL

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Interesting oversite... Maybe the will put out a tsb to fix it once customers complain

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Now that sucks. 😠

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

14. Top Of Page | #18
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Might not be that easy of a fix.
    Increase the size of entry on the fender, the hose is easy, but the tank fill neck ?
    That is a design change by the supplier and expensive if the 1st buyers what it.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    I think the real test will be how they do with the emissions. These trucks will probably be more of grocery getter for some people. Hopefully they do great! But is anyone working on a plan B if they dont?
    From what ive seen Hardway performance is. Ryan bought a new one and has the engine out of it messing with it from what ive seen.....

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes RATLIN'HP, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Might not be that easy of a fix.
    Increase the size of entry on the fender, the hose is easy, but the tank fill neck ?
    That is a design change by the supplier and expensive if the 1st buyers what it.
    Back to your post about classes on the previous page

I had an opportunity to sit in one of the mechanic class's at Tappan NY the other day and listen to the Propaganda BS these factories feed these mechanics. No there was no hands on, but they did have different current engines on stands in the room. 'YOU HAVE TO USE CHRYSLER PART NUMBER blah blah blah OIL IN THIS MOTOR." I was thinking to myself that was a crock. I've heard other things contrary to the real world too. Like rear gear oil. There's another one. You're supposed to use this certain synthetic gear oil. GM has it;s own version. The parts guy rolls his eyes as he tells me that.

Now I know why some of these techs are lousey. Puppets

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AnOldBiker, Power247, Murph liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast