Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Switching to biodiesel?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Switching to biodiesel?

So I have a 13 6.7,fully deleted with Raceme. My truck has 46k on it and has always been fueled with regular diesel. A new station just opened up down the street that carries biodiesel. I remember reading that the bio runs very clean and can often loosen up deposits and end up clogging injectors etc. Does thst sound right? Should I just avoid it altogether, or start running it blended with dino? It's slightly cheaper than diesel here. 2.10 vs 2.29. I don't put a lot of miles on so the cost savings for me is negligible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I hate to say this, but I assume you mean full Bio ? Or blended Boi, like diesel rated B5 or b10.

I'm not an expert on this, but from what I've read, full Bio can leave deposits in the fuel tank, gell quicker than standard diesel, plug filters faster and is more costly in the long run verses #2 , or #2 B5 or #2 B10.

If it's full Bio, I recommend staying away from it.
    If it's the bended, like B5 or B10, it's going to be hard to stay way from since they are trying to go nationwide with this.

We pay mega bucks for our trucks and they want us to burn trash.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Check your owners manual. I think they recommend 15% bio. Maybe 20% I forget. DO NOT run on veggie 100% unless you absolutely have too. You could be getting a 5 or 10% mix already from your regular source. I know it's in PA and Jersey. Common rails are not too friendly with Bio yet. The makers probably have something cooked up. . .

What Jim just said. Bio grows algae in the tanks. The proper fuel additive will prevent that. Archoil addresses it.

Gelling. Yes much sooner than Dino. Veggie starts to expel wax at 40*F If you have a Air Dog or Fass get the fuel heater or make one. In time it can clog your filters. I have heard there are issues with the factory filters on these new cartridges.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Not sure if it's full bio or blended. It just says bio on the sign. Better safe than sorry, I'll stay away from it. Thanks fellas!

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Here's their website. http://www.myomegafuels.com/biodiesel.html

8. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong, you can run up to B10 without issues. I called Cummins and asked. It's if you run a higher blend you can run into problems. I'd recommend stopping by and asking the station what they have. If you lucky, and that's a big 'if', the people there might know. Most times I found out they don't or are guessing. They're employeed to work there and don't understand that the production process or blending process is for their products. If nothing else, they should have it listed on the pump. Look for the B? sticker that is on the pump. It's usually a 1 1/2" x 2" yellow sticker with black letters. And if you have the time, call the company an ask them if you want more info. If they are reputable, they should be willing to answer your questions and should have more info for you. When I have a question, I'll call any company for an answer.

But the government is trying to get a much renewables sold as possible. So buying fuel without it is going to get harder and harder as time goes by. On my cross country trips I've found most every station I stop at has some form of blended stock out there. As Polaraco mentioned, products are out there that can help, as I'm just trying the Archoil in my fuel now to see if this will help. But if you run into and fill up with 100% bio, you will need to keep an eye on it for growth. This will usually be indicated when changing out your filters. Then you'll need a full Biocide treatment to kill the little buggers in your tank. (I found a station that I had no choice on filling up at that time and they gave me a free prize with their fuel). But yes ... it is treatable.

My main problem with Bio is regular diesel develops minimum of 1/2 times more BTU's per gallon than renewables, with less maintaince parts and cost for my engine.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Yeah, sounds like a better idea to avoid it if possible!

10. Likes Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

All I know is when we first got bio-diesel in our area we were encouraged to run it in our work trucks. I gained 10 pounds in a month... All our trucks smelled like french fries when we left them idling for long periods of time.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have heard that. I thought that was only on waste veggie oil.

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    I have heard that. I thought that was only on waste veggie oil.

You're probably right. This was like 10-15 years ago. I wonder if the new stuff smells like popcorn???

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Likes Noneck liked this post